20" Wheels and Off-Roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who is running 20" wheels and regularly takes their LR3/4 off-road. I know most people are trying to figure ways to get down to 18" wheels but there are those out there that are running 20's with larger tires.

Who's done it and what is your experience?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in my local Land Rover club who had a 2011 Range Rover Supercharged and would do pretty crazy off roading with his 20" wheels. I need to ask him what tires he used, but I believe they were Coopers? He did not seem to have much trouble and tackled everything quite nicely.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting detail Fin. If you could connect with him and let me know the wheel size and tire size that would be greatly appreciated.

I am actually looking at a set of RRS wheels as they are easily accessible on eBay for reasonably cheap rates and I love the wheel design. My only concern would be the width of the wheel. I am concerned there will be rubbing.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the toyo muds on 20" rims. Only taken them out a few times. The only reason I went 20" was that replacement rims ( the set I initially bought) are cheap and plentiful. I won't air them down below 15psi, otherwise they have been okay so far.

Attachments

• 1890550_668235596547841_768772536_o.jpg
    1890550_668235596547841_768772536_o.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 30

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the toyo muds on 20" rims. Only taken them out a few times. The only reason I went 20" was that replacement rims ( the set I initially bought) are cheap and plentiful. I won't air them down below 15psi, otherwise they have been okay so far.

Which wheels are those?

Have you gone through any real rocky terrain?

The cheap and plentiful is the thought process I had as well in terms of getting another one if one gets messed up. You can go on ebay and pick most designs up for $200 or less a wheel.

Would the extra 3/4" of tire be nice, yes, little more cushion but we are going with larger tires anyways and so there will be some more cushion there.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they've seen some rocks. I think the biggest risk is blowing a bead with a 20" rim. The ones I have are off a 2010 RR. I can look around for the part number. I have a 1" spacer on as well, otherwise the 31.9" would not clear the upper arm without it.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they've seen some rocks. I think the biggest risk is blowing a bead with a 20" rim. The ones I have are off a 2010 RR. I can look around for the part number. I have a 1" spacer on as well, otherwise the 31.9" would not clear the upper arm without it.

Well this is interesting to know. I would have thought things would have been fine with a RR wheel. If I have to run a spacer to run the 31.9" tire then that defeats the purpose in my mind. I might as well just run the 18" wheels with spacers.

This was good information and is turning me away from the 20" wheels.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is interesting to know. I would have thought things would have been fine with a RR wheel. If I have to run a spacer to run the 31.9" tire then that defeats the purpose in my mind. I might as well just run the 18" wheels with spacers.

This was good information and is turning me away from the 20" wheels.
I think you have made your decision.

:-D

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have made your decision.

:-D

Ha, well, not fully made up yet but I sure am getting closer!

I like to drive myself insane with these things. I swear, it's a good thing my wife understands my shortcomings. :flute:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, well, not fully made up yet but I sure am getting closer!

I like to drive myself insane with these things. I swear, it's a good thing my wife understands my shortcomings. :flute:

I spent my time (a couple months) "torturing" myself about this as well.

Compomotives: expensive, could be hard to replace if there ever were another bankruptcy (not my wish), good reputation, clear the brakes... Lots of people have them

LR3 rims: spacers (subjectively positive or negative factor), cheap, very easy to replace, OEM (dealer may not even notice them ;) )

I went with the LR3 rims a little bit to stand out from the Compomotives (also I couldn't get black ones when I made the decision). I saved $500/700 (powder coat, spacers, labor)... And I got myself a IIDTool with that money :)

I also moved my tpms from the 19s to the 18s and if I ever use the 19s again, I'll just use the IIDTool to turn off the tpms setting. Plus I get a "free" lift and many other fun things. The tool allowed me to bring my LR4 back from death once already.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99