2000 D2...A few puzzling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jcostello1

Hello all. Been reading the forums for a while and have found some very useful info. Thanks.

I have a 2000 D2 with 102K on it. Has treated me well and I try to keep up on maintainance and so far have only had the usual issues...swapped out front prop shaft U-Joints before they blew, missfires, which magnecor 8mm wires, Bosch P4s and some BG44k intake and fuel treatments have so far seemed to cure. I was worried about valves, but I would say 70% of miles are highway including 3 coast to coast round trips, averaging 80-100 and I deffinetly subscribe to the drive it like you stole it theory, and spend a good deal of time in upper 3k-4k range on tach, so I think I blow them out pretty well

Lately I have noticed while I was blowing out the BG44k from it that if I really get on it and hit say 5k-5200 on the tach I hear a rather loud rattle sound that sounds like it is coming from underneath untill I drop below 5k again. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion what that might be? Heatshield? Cats? I had the cats and Y-pipe replaced after physically breaking it in an accident, so cats, Y and O2 sensors all only have about 5k on them.

Also, engine runs very smooth throughout range except for between around 900-1100 RPMs. Below that, at idle it is smooth, and above it is fine, but when I accelerate through that range, or when coming to a stop, and engine winds down through it I get a pronounced vibration in the vehicle which you can feel throughout. It happens in gear and out of gear. I was wondering if anyone had any input about that as well. Could it just be some kind of harmonic coming through the mounts and chassis? It doesn't sound like a rough idle really, just a vibration, but as I said it is fairly pronounced. I had a code coming up for a small EVAP leak and I checked gas cap and vacuum lines and found one was cracking and after replacing it I no longer get that code. I had thought maybe it was related to vacuum, but doesnt' seem to be now as it is still doing it.

Lastly. After the accident I had, my tank and gas guage do not want to tell me it is full. Always stops at about 3/4 on guage. I did a test running it dry and then adding the full tank amount of gas and it still stops at 3/4 so I am pretty sure it is the float in the pump. On severe decline forward it will sometimes go above 3/4. Other than that pump is working fine. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the entire pump assembly? perhaps float arm was bent by accident force? Not a serious problem, as I know how far I can go on E..still has about 70 miles in it from what I can tell, but it is an annoyance so any suggestions would be helpful.

Well, sorry for being long-winded here on first post, but these things has been poking at me for a while now and I am out of ideas for fixes and I have found a lot of good information from the members of this board.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks,

John

J

jcostello1

a few addtional notes.

A few things I forgot to mention. Not that they would have any bearing on problems, but who knows. Perhaps weight, air flow may matter.

2000 D2 is stock except for the following.

OME HD shocks and springs.
Dunlop 265/75 Radial Rover RTs
TMJ 15 Bull bar on front
K&N air filter
Optima Yellow Top Battery

Unknown weight of large quantity of dirt and dust in body and light fixtures as free benifit of lots of desert off roading :)

John

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635