2000 D2 transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsalltrac

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been a member for a while, but never posted yet. I am posting today to try and get some advise on a problem that I have tried to reseach on this forum, but nothing has corrected it yet. I recently purchased a second 2000 D2, w/69K miles that was having transmission problems. The problem is that the transmission started acting up on the last owner and she didn't want to sink money into chasing it. I bought it with hopes that it might just need tranny fluid. When I bought it, it would only go into reverse but you would have to rev it up to about 3500 rpm's for it to move. It wouldn't do anything in any other gear. I checked the fluid and it was low, so I added fluid as per instructions I found on here, and now it goes into reverse like normal, no gas needed for it to move, but still no luck with it going anywhere in drive, 3, 2, or 1. I am wondering if I should take it to a tranny shop and have them check it out or if I should just start looking for a new transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a complete filter/fluid change? Admittedly, not the most pleasant task, but it might fix the problem.

Check the linkage too...without the engine running you can be under the truck and have someone slowly shift through the gears so you can watch the linkage and make sure nothing is slipping/binding.

You could take it to a dealer and ask them what is wrong. It will cost you, but they might find a bad electric control (under the driver's seat), leaking line or something that would make it so you didn't have to replace the trans.

djsalltrac

Reaction score
I checked the linkage the other day when My buddy was over trying to help me figure it out. I can feel it go into reverse as the idle changes, and it moves backwards. I also notice an idle change when i put it in drive, but just not nearly as much. Also the dash display showing what gear you are in changes as it should, not sure if that gets it reading from the shifter or the tranny somehow. I was thinking it might be the torque converter, but not sure it it was bad that it might work in reverse, and not in foward gears. From what I can see doing a tranny is going to be a pain in the rear, as I think I would have to drop the cross member, the y pipe and then the tranny and transfer case in one unit.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
From what you are saying, it sounds like someone ran it low on fluid and burned the transmission up. A rebuild or replacement sounds like it is needed. Depending on how far you are from you local LR dealer... you can ask one of the mechanics if they would like a side job... some will, some will not. But at least you know it will get down correctly when you either change or rebuild it. Either way it the out come will be the same...

djsalltrac

Reaction score
I was hoping you or someone wasn't gonna say that. I guess now I have to look for someone that I can trust to do the work. Should I try and find a used one, or should I have this one rebuilt if possible? I have called several salvage yards and found a few used w/70k on then for around $650-750 range. Then it would still need to be serviced when installed. I know the dealer would say a new unit is the way to go, but the cost for a new one is way too steep. Anyone ever have a franchised (Amcco, Cotterman, etc.) transmission shop do work for them, and have great success?

stb616

Reaction score
How was the fluid? Before you get ahead of yourself you might want to drop the pan and check for a lot of metal or chunks or at the very least let some fluid out so you can see if its burnt.

I'm not a tranny expert by any means but you might want to try the following unless you've already determined you're going for the tranny repain or replace-

-Check out the condition of the fluid. No point in wasting a ton of money on fluid, filter, etc if its shot. So maybe get a smaller container and just let a small amount from the drain plug and refit the plug. You might get a little dirty but if you're tranny is shot most likely your fluid will will be pretty cooked.

-My saftey clause on this one.....Don't be a fool about how you do it and be careful. This is a "shade tree" type advice but put the rover on jackstands (on good solid cement with nobody under, or near it) One person can stand away the other inside. Foot on the brake, put it in gear and slowly let off- see if you have ANY wheel spin. If you have reverse and you get zero spin with the truck wheels off the ground, you have more than a torque conv. issue. Don't let the wheels get going too much in eigther direction and put the truck back on the ground before you crawl back under it to do any thing else.

-Lastly, if you think you might be able to salvage something here. Drain you fluid and refill it but first add an entire bottle of lucas tranny conditioner, then fill per instrustructions. This stuff can do wonders for SOME issues.

-You might also try putting it into low range and see if you have any other results.

After I write all that my guess is, however, you're tanny is shot. But sometimes we can get lucky.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get a code reader and check the codes, my truck did the exact same thing after a jump start. There were two lights flashing on the dash and it would only move in reverse at a high RPM. I hooked up my OBD II and cleared the codes and it was good as new. The jump did something to the shift computer/controller and would not let the xmisssion work. I know its a long shot but maybe you have some dash lights out and the transmission is just fine.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the fluid? Before you get ahead of yourself you might want to drop the pan and check for a lot of metal or chunks or at the very least let some fluid out so you can see if its burnt.

-Check out the condition of the fluid. No point in wasting a ton of money on fluid, filter, etc if its shot. So maybe get a smaller container and just let a small amount from the drain plug and refit the plug. You might get a little dirty but if you're tranny is shot most likely your fluid will will be pretty cooked.

That's you best starting point, best of all, it's free... Your fluid and pan will tell you the what's going on or what went wrong... You can even try taking the fluid to a local tranny expert and ask for their opinion...

Keep us posted....

tempestv8

Reaction score
If the fluid looks really dark red or dark brown, then your clutch packs in the auto trans are probably wrecked.... :ahhhhh:

Cheapest option would probably be to swap out the transmission with a fully reconditioned one. It may cost more to repair the existing transmission that you have.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM