2000 Disco 2 runs wierd, need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rusty

Reaction score
first off, when started, if you try to take off it stalls and doesn't throttle up, falls on it's face if you know what I mean. once warm up a little then it will run, but you stomp on it and it sputters some while accelerating... then it can run fine for a while, and all of a sudden you will be at a stop light and it will barely pull away till you play with the gas pedal some to get the rpm's up a little.. anyone that can help me with this would greatly be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...

First things first:

Mileage, last tune up, type of plugs and wires, what type of air filter and how old, grade of fuel being used.

Any and all info could be important.

Do you have a check engine light if so what codes do you have?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Joey, should be an easy fix but we need lots of specific information to be able to help.

rusty

Reaction score
okay guys, thanks for coming to my rescue...haha
mileage...120,000 new air filter, just got the truck in march so don't know when tune up prior to that, plug wires look to be in good shape, looks like champion plugs, I put premium fuel in this last time, prior to that had been using low grade, unfortunately. when it does stall it acts like it wont come above idle, starts to die, and then eventually I can get the rpm's up and then it will do ok... besides when I try to accelerate heavy like pedal to floor, it will hesitate some and act like it misses and then pulls fine then hesitates..kinda hard to explain and hope I convey my info correctly enough.

Haven't gotten codes, who does those, like Advance Auto or Auto Zone, for land rovers??

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think Fuel Pump? My 97 would do this and more. Changed everything but the pump and it would still be hard to start, die at stop lights, etc. Fuel pumps die a slow death Joey once said and when I finally believed him and changed it, I have had no problem since.

Just a thought...

DiscoStick

Reaction score
Did you get a compression test done when you bought it? Sounds like something connected with either your fuel delivery or aspiration systems. Could be as insignificant as moisture in your fuel, to a leaking intake mani, to a blown head gasket. If you're ever at spead and it feels like its sputtering or losing power a bit while you're giving gas/increasing RPMs, you could be looking at a problem in the heads.

Start with some heet in a full tank of premium fuel and see if that takes care of it... if it doesn't diagnose on a code reader... and good luck. Hopefully its the first thing.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, it is pretty safe to say your truck never had a 120 tune up along with 8 mm wires.
Do you have a check engine light on, if so have you had the codes read?
Just as a rule of thumb, plug wires can not be judged based on how they look, are your's grey in color, if so they are original and need to be replaced.
How mechanical are you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635