2000 Disco II - ATF Fluid Change - Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My automatic trans on the 2000 Disco II has just starting acting rather strange. When shifting into the next gear, it hesitates, then the trucks sort of bucks or lurches forward a little, and then the gear engages. It's happened a few times last weekend, primarily when the trans is cold. Also, when approching a stop light, I can hear a small 'thud' from what I believe is the trans downshifting. Maybe not. The idle then reduces to a point where the engine just stalls out. I've only had this truck for about two weeks, so I do not know the history as to how well the fluids were maintained. It's shifting seems sluggish and odd though.

I've been told that changing the fluid on a 'testy' trans can cause more problems. Should I be concerned? Or will a good fluid change be exactly what this baby needs?

I should probably check the AFT fluid color to confirm it's status. Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers,
J

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check the fluid level to start with. May be low.

Has it set the Check engine light?

I would also concider a full tune up as well if you don't know the history of the vehicle.

How many miles will determine if I would change the Transmission fluid. If over 100k, I would be concerned, if under that, just don't have it flushed. Drain, change filter and refill, do not flush it unless you know the history of the vehicle.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many many thanks. Yes, the check engine light has come on. I thought thay may be due to old wires & plugs. I wish I new more of the vehicles history....

I will proceed with just a AT fluid change, new plugs, new wires, and a new air filter. I've already replaced the drive belt, and idler pulley, and gave it a good Moble-1 oil change service. I also plan to flush the coolant system in the next two weeks as well. I've ordered an OBII reader for future use. You never know. Is there anything else you'd recommend? Mileage is at 78k.

Thanks for the awesome advise you always provide us all.

Cheers,
J

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would want to check the codes and this will help with better diagnostics.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can read the codes at AutoZone for free

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey and Viper - but you won't beleive this.... my plug for the code reader is melted and only has three wires coming out of it (a 4th is just loose). I literaly just found this out. !!!!!! Looks like something has happened down there for sure. I've contacted the LR dealer and they have never heard of this and are looking into quoting me on replacing the wiring. I can't imagine that'll be cheap.

Have you guys ever heard of this before? I feel up a creek without a paddle at the moment.

J

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of this before... normally on vehicles that have had some water damage... i.e. flooding

I hope in your case this is not the case, maybe a spilled cup of coffee

or someone just couldn't wait any longer :toilet:

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Joey, a quick trip to the LR dealer helped. It seems 'someone' tore out the black plastic trim piece from under there and damaged the OB plug-in. Then, tried to glue it to something, which didn't work. So a visit to the dealer again tomorrow will have everything replaced. Not too bad really, considering of course...

I still intend on taking care of the coolant flush, ATF change, wires, plugs, and air filter. Is there anything else I should take care of initially? Diff's and/or T-case fluid? I'll get back to you with the error code once as to why the Service Enging light came on. Could that be related to the AT being sluggish issue?

Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On the D2 the Transmission puts codes into the CEL as well, remember it is just one big computer.

Without history, I would change all fluids so you have a baseline.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noted - and I would agree. I'll being taking care of all the fluids then rather soon. I should have the OB plug fixed tomorrow and I'll get back to you with the code that's produced. Thanks again...

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635