2000 Disco, possible purchase..want opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after searching and deciding not to do it. Then on a whim checking local ads last night came across a 60k mile off lease 2000 Black/Grey Disco. Drove the car for about 20+ min, really really liked it. Car has towing package, 18", no 3rd seat.

Very clean overall, a few scuffs that will buff out with ease. Drives great. I wanted to say it whined a tad when taking off, but couldnt convince myself. I found a leak from what I guess is the cam housing. (right above the headers and the headers looked to have a light brown staining on them) New tires, all power options work, no rust, underneath the car/trans looks clean

Asking 14,900. I was going to offer 13,5 and get my friend in the auto biz to get me an extended warranty.

Where to go/look for this and which company is the best. Straight from Land Rover? Im going to the bank tomorrow and then back over to wheel/deal. Any help/things to look for would really help.

Im new to Rovers, but not to expensive repairs as the retired daily driver was a turbo Porsche. (now garage queen)

Heres the autotrader ad:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/images.jtmpl?car_id=170022489&dealer_id=42376603&cardist=7&&make=ROV&address=46240&search_type=used&model=DISCOV2&max_price=&min_price=&start_year=2000&end_year=2001&car_year=2000&distance=200&advcd_on=n&advanced=n&certified=n&color=&first_record=1&sort_type=distance&

Thanks guys...hope to join ya'll soon. This will be a DD and hopefully offroad fun vehicle.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one more..whats the going rate on extended warranties?

A

ayavner

I have that whining noise when i take off, does the one you are considering have ACE?? I think that might be where it is coming from, doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as i have been able to tell. I do have plans to change the ACE filter and fluid soon, so will update on the noise.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont get the whining noise comment, but maybe I am not reading this thread right.

The disco looks solid and clean. Black is one of the nicest, although sometimes shows scratches the most. There is no great place to buy a rover. I would say auctions are great, then private party, then used dealers, then new dealers. Just do a search on autotrader to see if you can find similar ones for cheaper. Try searching the whole usa and check for the cheapest prices. Then you will have a better idea on what the vehicle is really worth.

Good luck. Keep us posted with details.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a update: I havent bought it yet. Insurance is ridiculous. I am currently on high risk (will be off next month, clean record 3+ years now...) and got quotes from 210-290 a month for full coverage. Once I come off high risk my rates will drop, but Im going to talk to my agent rather than the 1-800 number to double check. I could pay the high rates through December and then my policy is up for renewal/no more high risk crap...

If I can get a good answer in regards to my rates Ive decided Im going to offer 14,500 out the door with a extended warranty. If they dont bite, Ill keep looking.

Thanks for your help, not sure about the ACE though, will it show up on the Carfax?

A

ayavner

Slam - his original post said there was a bit of a whining noise... so, i was just offering that if the disco had ACE, that might be normal as mine does it too... although, i am going to change out the filter/fluid and see if that reduces it somewhat.

Sam - you can tell if it has ACE if you look at the power steering reservoir - if it has ACE, it will be split front/rear and have 2 caps.. one side goes to ACE pump, one side to the p/s system.

As far as the insurance goes, I am only paying 500/6 months for full insurance, this is thru USAA so I am sure you could even find lower... might be worth it to wait till you drop off their sh*t-list.. :)

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, got ahold of the service records. 1 owner, lady driven. Service guy said she took great care of it and has had all maintenance. 60k service completed and full check over. He said its a good buy...Got kind of lucky, checked the carfax, called the closest dealer and he pulled the vin and sure enough car had been serviced there its entire life. It was in last with 60,345. It now has 60,5xx.

Just waiting on insurance...other than that Im sold!

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for a quick price comparison, i just paid 15,900 for my dealer certified 99 D2 with only 40k, and my insurance for full coverage and with a very very clean record is $1250 per year(i am 25 yrs. old), good luck with the purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo