2001 disco 2 whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now now.. Lets not go overboard with eye poking, people ;)
Its only wednesday.

AND I STILL DONT KNOW WHEN I WILL GET ALTERNATOR BACK! Grrrrr

A

ayavner

well for my part, my comment was made in jest.... :) no eye poking here (at least not till i get my problem figured out!) :)

BTW how do you put the little phrase under your name?

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All in jest, both to, and from this sender. That is how I live. Life is way too short to worry about anything! (Unless it is trying to eat you) Thank You! LRW.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a water-pump to me....when you reach a certain speed, the bearing tightens up a bit, and stops with the whine? Also, youmentioned that the outside temp made it louder when cooler out? The bearing will be looser, and therefore louder in colder weather....as it heats up, it will swell to a size closer to that of it's original purpose...not to drive you nuts! I'm a musician, so I agree with Sergei's method...just stay clear of the moving parts, and try to locate the culprit....best of success!

A

ayavner

Wow, that does make a certain amount of sense as welll... just for ref, the LR has 56K miles, whats everyone's experience with water pumps? 56K sound about the time they start going out?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam, I emailed you about adding a signature (like at the bottom of this post) to your posts in the Forums.

Also, my water pump went at ~80K miles, but was not driven hard for the first three or four years of its life...

A

ayavner

thanks Andy. I spoke iwth someone in England that says the ACE pumps do tend to whine a bit, and he was going to help me diagnose whether it is a normal whine. I tend to think not, considering our thread here. The water pump is another avenue to definitely pursue. I heard mention that the viscous drive should be replaced when water pump is replaced... i am a bit ignorant on that one, is that really necessary?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its not necessary. In fact its rubbish - you dont have to do it :)

However before you got and start replacing parts - check which one is whiny for real

A

ayavner

Oh for sure, would never dream of "shotgun" diagnosis... just kinda learning my way around the Rover.. thanks for the tip on the viscous drive, anyone else have comments on that? what is it anyway?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM