2003 disco, newb looking for some help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColorofKris

Reaction score
Hey Folks, so Im new to the whole forum and maintenance rover world. I just got a Land rover Discovery Series II, 2003 with 96k on it, 4.6L Se edition. I picked it up last week it needs a little bit of work. The other day its started leaking, after looking through the engine bay I found that my jack was leaking fluids all over (and a lot of it) After cleaning what I could from it I hoped that it was the only issue regarding leaking. turns out the rover is still leaking and aroma-less fluid, the fluid has dark sediment in it (obviously) but looks to be coming from the front of the transmission. Today I pulled it out of the drive way and a big clunk was made when it was put into drive. When driving a squeaking noise is made when at low speeds, and when the transmission down shifts a shuttering noise is made. Im not entirely sure what maintenance has been done to the truck recently and judging by appearance it might just be some bad seals that need to be replaced. Any thing I should look out for or should note when driving/ looking at/ for what is leaking? Help would be gladly appreciated! Im am going to take it to rover and get it checked out next week but if its something I can do myself with ease Id prefer not to hand over an leg or arm in exchange for a leak.

ColorofKris

Reaction score
Today On my way to work I started getting a squeeking noise from the front left side of the truck, it got progressivly worse through out the evening, It seems to be coming from the driver side wheel (area), after doing some research and paying attention while I drove I noticed some uneasy down shifting, squeaking from what seems to either be the brakes/ brake caliber/ hub/ bearing/ or possible drive shaft, also my breaks are iffy. I have to push to the floor for the truck to stop, I looked at the brake pads, and they looked fairly (wouldnt say new..) not worn. The rotors are a bit rusty on the edges (looking at upgrading brakes soon anyways), my point is, could all of this be a factor to a brake hose leaking fluid, a faulty brake line or the brake pump is bad? Just trying to brain storm here. I would really appreciate some input on the matter. Please and thank you!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Literly, STOP driving it before you have a major failure. Chance are very high that your front drive shaft is failing and when it does, it will punch a hole in the tranny.
How mechanical are you? You might want to send me your number and I would be glad to walk you thru what to check.
Also read and do my major service list.

1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Factory air filter
6 Qts. of engine oil, Shell Rotella T-6
2 feet of 3/16th vacuum tube
2 feet of 5/16th vacuum tube
6 Qts. Of Vavoline’s high mileage Dextron 3 ATF
7 Qts. of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of Castrol Synthetic or Vavoline’s DOT 4 Brake fluid
4 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of Peak or any green or yellow coolant, don’t use Dexcool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of B&G’s 44K gas additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor or STI 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant Pressure Cap and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.
Rebuild or Replace the front drive shaft if it only has 1 grease fitting

ColorofKris

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I was actually driving on the high way when I got your message this morning, I was on the way to a friends with the tools and knowledge to check everything out. First and for most you were right about the drive shaft, 2 of the bearings on the back side of the front shaft blew out, which is where all the noise came from, I was able to repair the drive shaft, replace the broken bearing u joint with a new one, and re greased all existing joints which are now working fine. We believe to have found the major leak as well, the oil filter was not properly screwed on, it was gaping and spraying out oil. Which was leaking over the top of the transmission giving the appearance of a broken seal. (still not sure if that's all the leaking issues) By the looks of it the same oil/ fluid was found all the way back on the transfer case, is that possible to reach that far back?

Thank you for the maintenance list Disco Mike, I will look into purchasing the products listed above in the near future. I'm still taking the rover to the dealer for a service/ inspection/ and also tire alignment. (and a high mileage service if the funds allow me. If not I will do it progressively over the next 2 weeks.)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You jumped the gun on the repair, did you replace both the u-joints along with the centering ball, if not it will fail in pretty quick fashion if you don't replace the centering ball.
Why are you going to the dealer, their prices are way to high and I'll put money on the fact, they will not do everything on my list. Why do you feel you need an alignment, what air pressure are you running and how often to you rotate the tires?

ColorofKris

Reaction score
Not sure on either the tire pressure nor the prior rotation methods, Ive literally had the truck a week so im not even sure on previous maintenance. The remaining u joints I planned on replacing once I had the money because they weren't in the best condition, but they are in a far better working manner. The center ball I didnt even think to replace. I wanted the inspection done at the dealer to tell me what else is wrong with it. Im not going to order/ have it serviced there. the alignment I wanted done there because no other tire place will touch the suspension or anything on the truck due to its "unique suspension".

What tire pressure should I be running? and how often should I be rotating tires.

ColorofKris

Reaction score
And I need an alignment because my steering wheel is pulling hard to the left. takes two steady hands to drive

ColorofKris

Reaction score
Found an issue that isnt a big deal at this very moment but the lift that was on the truck prior o the purchase is of unknown height, my guess is between 2-3 inches. When jacked up today at full articulation the drive shaft made contact with the cross member, My jeep had a similar issue with lifting (which is why i didn't lift it) with the exhaust. I know the way it sits on the street the drive shaft isn't hitting and it still has quiet a bit of travel, question is, is there any way to space this cross member from the chassis/ move it further back/ or indent the cross member to allow the drive shaft to move freely with out chancing the integrity of the vehicle and the frame? I looked earlier around and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem (I probably didn't dig deep enough).

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you learn real soon to quit using the dealers, all is are doing is wasting money and most of the time the dealers mechanic don't have a clue about D2's.
You front shaft is going to fail real soon and if it does, it will take out your tranny.
If you want to find out what is wrong with your tranny, send me your number and I can walk you thru what to do.
By the way, most good tires shops, like Discount tire can do your alignment, D2's only have a toe adjustment for a lower cost.

ColorofKris

Reaction score
I hope you learn real soon to quit using the dealers, all is are doing is wasting money and most of the time the dealers mechanic don't have a clue about D2's.
You front shaft is going to fail real soon and if it does, it will take out your tranny.
If you want to find out what is wrong with your tranny, send me your number and I can walk you thru what to do.
By the way, most good tires shops, like Discount tire can do your alignment, D2's only have a toe adjustment for a lower cost.

Okay, I will not go to rover. you have talked me out of it, there is a very good tire shop local to the area, fair priced to. I am going to order the remaining drive shaft parts Thursday when I get paid. Im working all day today and tomorrow, but im off Thursday if i can pass my number onto you then and you can walk me through what to look at?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM