2003 Freelander (gas) not starting every 5th time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leamas

Reaction score
My 2003 will start and run, but every fifth time or so that I turn the ignition to drive, it takes a series of cranking and waiting to get it to kick in. It's hot here (AZ)!

I put in an aftermarket fuel pump a year ago (I know, I know) and that could be the source. The fuel gauge didn't work, but just recently it woke up a few times--suggesting a short of some kind?

It runs a little low on pep, too, when it gets warmed up. I know one of you guys can figure this out.

Leamas

Leamas

Reaction score
Pump wasn't problem

Okay, I had error codes P0340 (CPS) and P1471 and P1472 and P1319. I replaced the fuel pump and the car ran fine for a couple days. The fuel gauge worked, too.

Now the old loss of power is back and I don't think the fuel gauge is working now. It runs then won't start when hot. After it sits long enough, it usually starts.

This feels like a short to me because of the gas gauge acting up. One guy thought it might be valves in the intake that were heat warped open.

Help!

Leamas

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM