2003 Land Rover Discovery Lifter Noise? Need Special Tools?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umoms

Reaction score
Just bought a 03 Discovery SE7 with 65k Miles. I bought it knowing it had engine problems. I have the check engine light on and it says Cylinder-6 Misfire. When i bought it from the previous owner it had no oil in it at all. NONE. But who knows how long they been driving it like that. I immediately ave it a oil change and it didn't help. Anyways I see sparks from the plugs and hear lifter noise. I think it's the lifters but not sure.

I'm thinking either lifter or maybe the oil pump?

How do you guys suggest I diagnose this further?
Should I open the valve covers and check the lifters?

Is there a special tool required to open the valve covers? If so what's it called.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I authored a lengthy dissertation to you on the other forum.

luck,greg

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did I, along with a question, did you even check with Rover to see if the vinn on that vehicle is on the hit list?
Don't start or drive this till you can get it to someone beside the dealer who will want to throw a new engine in it.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a new engine to me. :frown:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"YUP"!!!, and a hard lesson about really checking a vehicle before you buy it and estimate the worse case repair and your ability to tackle it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink