2003 Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic British has complete re-man blocks for $5-7k, depending on how complete you want it. Add in a few hundred in other gaskets and parts, and absolute tops a couple grand in labor, and you should be out the door under 10k.

I recommend going with AB's long block with heads and rockers, it's a good deal when you add in the price of reman heads, new lifters, push rods and rockers.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, you never go to a dealer for any reason, they will over charge you many times over.
What sort of tests have been done to determine that you need an engine? You need to have a good mechanic do an oil pressure test, stone cold at idle and 2000 RPM's and agin when hot at idle and 2000 RPM's to verify proper oil pressure and see if you have a failing oil pump. Then some one needs to open the top part of the engine and inspect the entire valve train, the rocker shafts, rocker arms, push rods, the lifters and the cam lobes, then get it fixed, don't buy a new engine.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not say that it is without personally verifying the noise, but if it is the cam bearing, do not waste money trying to have the block rebuilt. I have seen several times, both customers and shops try to fix this, having the block gone through by machine shops, and not once have I seen it take care of the noise.

I agree with an oil pressure test to start with, the type of failure needs to be properly identified.

Reaction score
I really appreciate the input! What do I need to do an oil pressure test. My skills are very basic. I've done two valve jobs, and one timing belt-years ago! Once, I determine the nature of the issues, won't my end result be the same? BTW, it still runs, and accelerates with cojones! It's idles roughly and ticks like and an old sixties Buick with bad lifters!
I've also sprung a steady coolant drip at the back of the engine.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you always do an oil pressure test first, then if it is OK, you pull the top of the engine off and check each piece of the valve train, rocker shafts, rockers, push rods lifters and cam lobes, before you make any decisions.
Asa for the 03 oil pump issue, if that were your problem, your engine would have failed as soon or shortly after the oil light came on.So you would be foolish to just throw that engine away.

Reaction score
The oil pressure was not tested. They pull plugs and found coolant leaking into cylinders on both sides of the block. There's knocking coming from both the top, and bottom of the block.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635