2005 front fuel sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trynian

Reaction score
Once you get the damn senders out, which is a PITA, how does one test them using a volt meter to determine which one to replace? FOUND SEVERAL EXCELLENT YOUTUBE SOURCES FOR THIS QUESTION.

I didn't bother testing them as my fault codes told me which was acting up. The code read sensor 1 or sensor 2 failure. But I think it was sensor 1 for the front and 2 for the rear. I think the sensors parts even said 1 or 2 on them.

omorin34

Reaction score
My sender is out as well on my 2006 LR3. I order both senders, dropped the tank Replaced the pump sender, and then hit a rock. I have read this thread 4 times. I can see how it might be possible but unless your Silik from Star Trek Enterprise or Mr Fantastic, it is impossible for me. I am considering drilling a 3 or 4" hole just inside where the front sender should be on the flat section. replacing it then sealing the whole thing up. Thoughts? Or has anyone tired this? I figure that I might as well try, If I fail, I still need to find a tank.

omorin34

Reaction score
I decided to splice the rear sender leads together

After looking at the tank again and realizing that if I drilled a hole, it would be completely immersed in gas when the tank was full. I could buy an ethanol resistant bulk head but I am not sure I could feel that past the inner baffling to install it. It looks like the tank will register just less than a 1/16 when empty with the wires spliced. The good news is, the low fuel indicator will come on at the same point as it is not cumulative as is triggered by a low fuel reading in either sender. I really don't care if I'm getting an accurate reading when parked on a hill.

Note to anyone else going to attempt this. The fuel tank is the most over designed, well at the same time poorly thought out pos I have ever seen. EVER. You will be amazed at the amount of channels, baffles, tubing, wiring and God only knows what else is inside this thing. Disagree? What would they sell a fuel sender that can only be replaced by 0.5% of the population because only they have the dexterity and the proper proportions. And sell to senders that send different voltages.

omorin34

Reaction score
Splicing the ends doesn't work!

I spliced the front sender connector into the rear thus sending the rear signal to both. I was hoping for only a 1/16 difference but I got much more than that. After I was done, the tank was empty, basically bone dry, and the gauge read empty. Promising I thought. I put 2 gallons in and the meter reads 1/4 tank. Put another 5 in for about 7 gallons and it reads 3/4.

omorin34

Reaction score
I Replaced mine!

After spicing the ends did not work. I ordered an inspection camera $25 from amazon and a surgical clamp from harbor freight. I clamped the white plastic housing tab that holds the black electric housing. The nose of the clamps actually touching the black housing. This kept the handles in a vertical orientation. Grabbing the handle will not work because the unit will slide around during installation. I exercised the plastic springs on the new unit to aid installation. Using the camera to guide me, I slowing worked it in. It still took about 25 tries to get it seated, by once it does it is a glorious thing! :proud:

uruwind

Reaction score
hola, mi nombre es Alvaro y vivo en Uruguay, Tengo una LR3 2009 4.0 y tuve el problema de que el nivel de combustible marcaba vacío siempre.
Quite el tanque con mi mecánico y me sirvió mucho este post para cambiar los dos sensores de combustible.
Les aseguro que es posible cambiar el sensor de nivel de combustible delantero mediante el brazo. Simplemente hay que tener un brazo largo y no muy ancho. Les paso unas fotos que me saque pero el trabajo es bastante simple. Si alguien tiene alguna duda me escribe a mi correo o aquí y va a ser un placer ayudarlos.

uruwind

Reaction score
Fotos de introducción del brazo para cambio de sensor delantero de combustible.

hola, mi nombre es Alvaro y vivo en Uruguay, Tengo una LR3 2009 4.0 y tuve el problema de que el nivel de combustible marcaba vacío siempre.
Quite el tanque con mi mecánico y me sirvió mucho este post para cambiar los dos sensores de combustible.
Les aseguro que es posible cambiar el sensor de nivel de combustible delantero mediante el brazo. Simplemente hay que tener un brazo largo y no muy ancho. Les paso unas fotos que me saque pero el trabajo es bastante simple. Si alguien tiene alguna duda me escribe a mi correo o aquí y va a ser un placer ayudarlos.

Attachments

• foto1.jpeg
    foto1.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 328
  • foto2.jpeg
    foto2.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • foto4.jpeg
    foto4.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 304
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 299

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
Gracias, Alvaro! Eso fue muy útil y alentador ver las fotos de alguien realmente metiendo la mano en el tanque. Voy a estar haciendo este proyecto yo pronto, y no estaba seguro de si se podía hacer. Con suerte mi brazo encaja. Tenía Google traduce esto para mí, así que espero que tenga sentido.

Here's a google translation of the last post:

hello, my name is Alvaro and I live in Uruguay, I have a 2009 LR3 4.0 and had the problem that the fuel level always marked empty.
Remove the tank with my mechanic and I served much this post to change the two fuel sensors.
I assure you that you can change the front level sensor fuel by the arm. You just have to have a long and not very wide arm. I pass a few photos to get me but the work is quite simple. If anyone has any questions I email me or write to me here and it will be a pleasure to help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM