2005 LR3 Key Issue #2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potensky

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 LR3 with a key that was cut manually somewhere? The owner said the programmable keys were lost and all he had was a manual key and the truck could not be locked because of it. Land Rover told me this was impossible, but I know it was possible because I owned the truck and had the key. I checked around and know one was able to cut another key for me. Land Rover told me all the keys have the same configuration they are just programmed differently? The key I had was different than my other LR3 (I own 2). When I say different I mean the cut arrangements was different (which tells me Land Rover was incorrect). I was able to buy a blank LR3 key on Ebay but turns out no one would cut them?

Now I'm forced to purchase a $600 programmable key from Land Rover (see my other key issue posted). What a mess!

My question is: Does anyone have a solution to this key nightmare on the 2005 LR3. Is there such a thing as a simple manual key that does not require programming? Is there someone that provides a programmable key for these vehicles under $500?

KEY NIGHTMARE!!!!

Mark

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No-- order your key from http://landrovermerriamparts.com/

It comes from the factory with the secret programming. The shortcuts don't work.. It also will need to be paired to the vehicle at a dealer or an independent with an Autologix or some third party systems out there..

If you simply want to cut one, I can get you a list, but you will never get it programmed so far as I can tell.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
list of what, tlt? Locksmiths that can cut one? I was unable to find one in Seattle metro...although a poster here (or on another forum) said they had found one.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a manual key is quite what you think it is. On my Audi I have a "valet" key which has no remote function so looks like a manual key but does in fact contain an RFID so that the ignition immobilizer accepts it. To my knowledge, Land Rover never supplied an option valet key, you got two "full" remotes with the unlock/lock buttons. These also contain the RFID module so the alarm is disabled on unlock and the ignition is enabled.

So you can get lucky and find the Dumbledore of Locksmiths with a "sidewinder" machine which can physically copy your existing key to a new blank. I know, because I have done it. That key will unlock the door but will cause the alarm to sound when you open it. It will physically fit in the lock but will not start the LR.

I'm not aware of any way you can insert the "wrong" LR key and get it deprogrammed/reprogrammed as you describe in your other post. You need either LR diagnostic kit or third party tools to "pair" a new key. Now that's not the same as programming it. AFAIK, each LR has a unique "seed value" against which keys can be one time programmed to be acceptable to the car immobilizer. If you order a key from LR for your "A" Land Rover, you can't change your mind and decide to use it with your "B" LR or sell it to your buddy down the pub who also has lost his LR key.

I needed a new key (as I only got one when I bought the LR used) so my LR dealer charged me $250 for the replacement which was ordered against my VIN number and came in from the UK pre-cut (looks like CNC cutting) and matched to my secret seed from the factory. I have my own diagnostic tools (Faultmate MSV2) so I did not need to spend an additional $100 for the dealer to pair it so that I now have two working fobs. Worst case I would have spend $350, so try another dealer if you are being quoted $500. None of the dealers in the US can make the key, they have to order it from the UK and it takes 7-14 days on average.

armybuck041

Reaction score
If you no longer have the original proper FOBs, go to your Dealer and pony up some money as there is no way around it.

That said, replacing the battery on a dead FOB is workable with some skill and can be done for under $15 per FOB.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM