2005 LR3 petrol / gas tank lid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

aah78

the petro/gas tank lid on the lr3 has to be pushed in to open.

something's gone wrong with mine since last week. the spring action has stopped working. now, i have to pull the gas lid by trying to use my fingers, or any thin object, as a lever (don't use metal as it'll scratch the paint).

the spring action into which the lid locks, seems to be working OK. i'll try and post a picture of this, if possible, to make things clearer.

any recommendation for a quick fix for this? thanks...

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick fix? Apply a short peice of duct tape that sticks out, folded over so that it works as a little tab to pull it open with. Can't get any quicker than that. :)

24Hours

aah78 said:
something's gone wrong with mine since last week. the spring action has stopped working. now, i have to pull the gas lid by trying to use my fingers, or any thin object, as a lever (don't use metal as it'll scratch the paint).

Thus far, my only complaint with our '06 LR3 HSE is with the gas cover. It seemed slick to press it to open it up, however my wife took the truck to a HS carwash and the meatheads broke the plastic catch device in side the cover.

So it's off to the dealer today. I like the more typical feature where you unlock it from the driver-side controls.

Cheers.

A

aah78

nwoods said:
A quick fix? Apply a short peice of duct tape that sticks out, folded over so that it works as a little tab to pull it open with. Can't get any quicker than that. :)
that is a quick fix but also draws attention that something is wrong :).

woodmews said:
Bring it back to the dealer it is still under warranty
yes thats what i'm planning to do but i work away from home, so will not be going back to the dealer until the next service which is still around 6000miles away (the service, not the dealer :) ).
i have to park outside sometimes, so just didn't want anyone fooling around with the tank while the car is unattended.

24Hours said:
Thus far, my only complaint with our '06 LR3 HSE is with the gas cover. It seemed slick to press it to open it up, however my wife took the truck to a HS carwash and the meatheads broke the plastic catch device in side the cover.

So it's off to the dealer today. I like the more typical feature where you unlock it from the driver-side controls.

Cheers.
yes the unlock feature, like in the older Discovery was a useful one. this gas lid break of mine was all thanks to a gas pump attendant on the NJTP. broke the same plastic catch you've mentioned here by trying to pull out the gas-lid before i could pronounce the 'p' of push.

bizdack

Reaction score
I hear you. Blame it on the laws that don't allow NJ and OR to NOT pump their own gas hehe.

Im in NJ also and I always open the gas tank lid myself since this one gas pump attendent used all of his force to pry it open.

J

jackmac

I had the exact same issue. Dealer fixed it. Nothing else you can do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9