2006-2007 GPS DVD Update - 1791 Hack Found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never did.

I compared the two discs, and the only difference was the Loading.kwi file. So basic logic would tell you what installs the update.

So if you buy the new DVD expecting to make a backup to remove LOADING.KWI, DO NOT put the original Land Rover disc in your Nav unit. Then you'll be SOL.

*The 2004 disc does not have a LOADING.KWI on it, so if somehow one could connect to the Nav Computer and extract the original file, then people who did install the 2006-2007 update could get by.

I Hope it works for you all as it did for me.
-Angas

Last edited:

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My car is a 2005 LR3, but if you have had the 2006-2007 DVD-ROM in your car already, you most likely installed the update and are SOL. But for everyone else that have always used the 2004 DVD, this will work.

I read through the process and I wonder why it works only for those who already used the 2004 DVD.

Can I take out my DVD (2006 ~ 2007), go through the same process and come up with a new DVD? or Something is hard-coded in the navigation system (not in DVD) that prevents 1791 code? - Brian from DE

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loading.kwi contains a permanent software upgrade, regretably. There is no way to "downgrade" it... even if you have an older loading.kwi on an older disc.

So, if 1791 doesn't work for you now (already upgraded), this solution won't work. Sorry.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, like I was saying, the 2006-2007 disc contains a firmware/"driver" update for the Nav system. The file is called LOADING.KWI.

Basically your Nav Unit is a computer. When you bought the car, the unit had for all intensive purposes... came with "Windows XP". The 1791 code worked great, but being that it is 2007 now, the technology and maps you're using are from 2004.

So Rover issued the update DVD (2006-2007) which was an upgrade to "Windows Vista". It has all the new maps on it, and an upgrade to update the firmware/"drivers" of the hardware to operate more efficiently. But in doing so it blocks code 1791.

I know that's a bit of a stretch, but say you have a 2005 LR3 that came with a 2004 disc. You buy the 2006-2007 DVD, put it in... well that updates the firmware along with having the latest maps. If the 2004 disk is put back in, nothing is going to happen except you'll have old maps because the firmware update has already occurred, and the 2004 DVD doesn't have the original firmware.

Conclusion: I'm going to continue thinking about how you could remove the original firmware off the car's Nav system. If anyone else knows how to do so, please chime in.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explanation, guys. Big bummer for me that I have to stop everytime to punch destinations in.....:argh: - Brian from DE

CoreyS

Reaction score
Are there any known improvements with the new firmware (contained in the LOADING.KWI file)? As discussed, the obviously negative is the removal of the 1791 hack.

Great job finding this new hack, BTW!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't see any notable differences. The only thing I noticed is the "lawyer disclaimer" warning display has different text on the 2007 I borrowed, which obviously had the new disc.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angasreid, I just noticed your $50 "offer" -- that's a bit high, and still ************ if it is legal at all... even if someone shows you a receipt as proof of ownership. You are still reproducing copyrighted material not for your own personal use... and at $50 a shot, you are now profiting from it.

Yeah, I know you are a student... but you have an LR3. I had Top Ramen when I was a student. :smile: Still, many thanks for time and testing!

If anyone is in the S.F. Bay Area and has no clue, I'll do it for free... just supply the blank DVD-DL, and bring your 2006+ original disc.

Last edited:

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grommet,

Last time I checked... I'm the one that found out how to do this. Blank DVD+DLs are about $10 each + the time I put into it, and the dozens of blank DVDs I lost during this trial, not to mention the software expense.

As I noted before I would sell a backup only under the circumstances that the enquirer legally paid for the disc. I even posted online how to do it yourself, so it's your call my friend. My computer knowledge as a student helped me find how to do this, and maybe I'm the only non-AARP member driving an LR3.

In terms of the price make me an offer and I'll see what I can do.

PS, did you know you can buy nearly 500 packs of Ramen for $50?

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose the loading.kwi file would also update the "Lawyer disclaimer" to the 2007 version when it loads for the first time. I am not sure about this, but it will be interesting to see if the text of the disclaimer changes after loading the "modified" 07 nav disc (minus the loading.kwi file), something tells me it will remain the same. If only there was an editor out there able to properly edit this type of file... Anyone with a kiwi editor handy? :biggrin:

Thanks for the hard work angasreid, now I can finally order my 2007 map update. This little trick will surely work on all 2005/6 Land Rovers with Denso satnav and original map data, including my RRS and FFRR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo