2008 Lr3 > 2005 Lr3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008's will have MUCH fewer problems than the 05's. Trust me, I have a stack of service receipts with failed parts that were replaced with newer, redesigned parts that come standard on the newer LR3's. You should have no problem's with an '08 model except for the usual wear and tear items.
Well, that is the point. The 2005's out there have all had the TSBs and recalls applied, and now have essentially the same equipment as the later models. At this point in time, the 05-06 LR3s are no more or less likely to have issues than 07-09.

The overall condition, mileage, and maintenance history of any given LR3 is the primary predictive factor in potential future issues.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JackMac, many of the items weren't TSB's (on my car atleast, i.e. the 6 speakers I had replaced and the sub replaced twice, a "spinning" loose shifter knob, leaking front/rear diff, leaking center diff at the front driveshaft yolk, I could go on) and it largely depends on the previous owner on whether or not tsb and warranty items were taken care of. I'm a very picky owner so I made sure to get everything taken care of while under warranty, but I have friends that will drive around for weeks or sometimes years without recognizing a blown speaker or broken seat rail. In general, you could get lucky with an '05 that was properly maintained, or you could take the safe route of getting a newer model with items taken care of at the factory.

MPG_LR3

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input...I'm hearing what I had hoped to hear and what kinda expected!

I know there are several threads on extended warranties and I've looked a few of them but has anybody heard of or had experience with 'Global Warranty'? The local LR Dealer quoted me an extended warranty for 4years/80,000Km (4years/50,000mi) from the end of Factory Warranty for CAD$ 3499. When I crunch the numbers it looks like a better deal than the Ford ESP.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mike

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The older the rig is (and more miles) the more problems your gonna have. The known issues have certainly been resolved with the early ones but they have more wear and tear at this point. Diffs being replaced because they leak is part of the reason land rovers have a reputation of being expensive. A seal kit and an hour of labor to replace the seals would have been far cheaper and achieved the same result. The 07's and on had a few improvemens as far as options, one touch windows all around and a clock in the instrument cluster but they are no more/less reliable then an 05 at this point so take your pick and choose what you wish. (My thoughts here are newer is certainly going to be better but you can expect the same problems we are seeing with the earlier ones once the time/milage gets added on them...)

I love my 05 and I have absolutly no regrets at 2 yrs into ownership. If all I did was drive it around town I think the only two repairs that would have happend would be the Compressor and the thermostat. All the other repairs have been due to offroad use/abuse. 63.5k Miles on the clock (18k are mine) and 75% of the miles during my ownership have been off pavement and the roads to get me there!!! This is not a daily driver and probably never will be during my ownership. While I do like it there are far better options out there for the daily grind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4