2008 LR3 hatch will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattroark

Reaction score
I can hear the lock electronics releasing but it is still jammed shut. Is there anything I can do, without taking it to the dealer?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the cable has broken off from the latch mechanism (I think I was the last person to post in the link above). If this is the case, the fix is relatively straightforward, but quite frustrating because you have very little space to work with.

If you don't mind getting in and digging around, it's not too bad - the instructions provided here and on disco.co.uk provide some decent pictures of what to do...

Good luck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This fix at the dealer only cost me about $200

Dave Legacy

Reaction score

$200 doesn't sound that bad considering all the trim/carpet that could potentially get damaged in the process. I always manage to break clips when removing panels.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I figured as well. I might add however that the service department at Land Rover Seattle is outstanding. I'm not sure what people across the country will encounter at various other dealerships.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For $200, I might have opted to get the dealer to do it.... When I read various posts on it, I was seeing a lot of people paying in the $500-$700 range; the breakdown was usually $300-$400 in parts + a couple of hours labor. It seemed that many dealerships where replacing the actuator and the cable, rather then just fixing the tiny part attached to the end of the cable (I fixed mine with zip ties, but I'm sure a dealer would have a better solution).

ar_ken

Reaction score
I just had the same problem and I opt for the dealer to do it for me (for $190 CDN).. IMO it might be worth the trouble if it was more money, but as one of the poster said above, too much is at risk by doing it yourself (breaking things, etc)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer service dept. replaced everything...and it was under $250.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99