2008 LR3 hatch will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service manager up there, Rahim...is pretty much the $hit. They're having a customer appreciation BBQ/Service Clinic next Saturday (3/12). You should drop by and poke around....

mattroark

Reaction score

barry3bail

Reaction score
I followed the directions to fix the latch on my landrover that I received here. Found the latch, moved it back and forth and the top hatch opened right up. I was amazed at how simple it was. The hook that goes down in the hole to open that hatch broke off. Tommorow I will continue to fix and let you guys know how I made out.
Thanks to all. You guys saved me about 300 dollars.

barry3bail

Reaction score
I can hear the lock electronics releasing but it is still jammed shut. Is there anything I can do, without taking it to the dealer?

Mattroak if you do not mind trying yourself, you will save yourself some money. i followed the instructions word for word, and my hatch is open and I know how to fix it. LandRover dealer quoted me 450 dollars. After I opened the shaft I thought about the money I would throw away for something so simple.

barry3bail

Reaction score
One thing the guy forgot to tell you was you have to get a 1/2 in wrench and turn that cable to the bottom lift until it is all the way down. Man that was some critical info to leave out. messed around with that thing for 45 minutes. Thank God for those photos

barry3bail

Reaction score
hey guys I follwed the directions and I repaired the liftgate. opens up just like before. I want to thank the gentleman who posted those instructions for all to take advantage of ///Thanks

barry3bail

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the bottom lift opens automatically once the top lft gate has been opened. If it does not you need a new button. That the little white button that you press to open up the bottom lift. Cost about 45 dollars but easy to install

Ryck1494

Reaction score
Encountered the same problem with my 06 lr3. Is the spot where the screw driver needs to go located higher or lower than the hole you are working with? I understand that it is to the left, but is it above the hole?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Encountered the same problem with my 06 lr3. Is the spot where the screw driver needs to go located higher or lower than the hole you are working with? I understand that it is to the left, but is it above the hole?

I assumed it was right in the hole - however, I never managed to make this work. Instead, I popped the back off of the actuator housing and just pulled on the cable - effectively doing the same thing. It's awkward unless you have small hands, or unless you cut the cable outside of the actuator housing and replace it when everything is opened up (which seems more common then just pulling on it for some reason).

I tried for about 45 minutes /w the screw driver and had no luck at all - thus the alternate route...

Ryck1494

Reaction score
I assumed it was right in the hole - however, I never managed to make this work. Instead, I popped the back off of the actuator housing and just pulled on the cable - effectively doing the same thing. It's awkward unless you have small hands, or unless you cut the cable outside of the actuator housing and replace it when everything is opened up (which seems more common then just pulling on it for some reason).

I tried for about 45 minutes /w the screw driver and had no luck at all - thus the alternate route...

OK.. well i have tried inserting the screw driver in the hole and it seem shallow and i am unable to stick it in further. The hole that i am attempting to put the screw driver in is directly above the "larger" area in which you need to work.. so how did you pop the actuator housing off?? is it above the spot that i am working with... and are the large black wires electrical or is that the cable??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112