2011 Range Rover Upgraded Sound System Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illanrob

Reaction score
Clipping an audio signal during high volume would normally not cause the audio to go quiet for a fraction of a second, like a digital CD skipping, but the clipping would rather cause a change in the tone of the audio. If the audio does go quiet then it is the audio amplifiers possibly overheating and/or forcing a momentary shutdown of the audio signal.

Have you tried driving at a high RPM (set at a lower gear for the same speed) to see if the loud audio gets enough power from the higher reving alternator. You could measure the battery voltage at the cigarette lighter with a $10 Volt/Ohm meter as you drive with different audio volume and engine RPM.

Voltage drop from too small a wire may cause clipping of the amplified audio. The battery/cigarette lighter may be 12VDC and the radio only get, say 11VDC. You may be able to register an AC voltage level on the power wires, may be hard to read with a $10 VOM. I use a $500 oscilloscope for such measurements.

Last edited:

Jasdip

Reaction score
Mouse:
Any update on your situation from the dealership? Aside from the sound system issue, I have many electrical problems, without getting into detail on this thread, such as the blind spot sensors becoming "blocked", rear backup sensors beeping as driving away (with nothing behind me at all), 360 cameras constantly losing signal, smart key not found message coming up once in a while, and a few other electrical things. Other than the electrical, i get a squeal from the brakes while in reverse. Overall, I love the vehicle though..

illanrob:
The sound system sometimes clips out but sometimes doesn't, like the other day i was driving with my music at almost full blast for a while and it didn't clip out but once I reached my destination, a friend of mine wanted to hear that same track up loud and when I turned it up it was clipping out. I have tried revving the engine and testing at driving and idling speeds and it doesn't go away with the higher RPM. the only time I noticed it being minimal or eliminated was after trickle charging the battery to 100% with a charger

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo