2014 LR4: Biggest POS Ever Owned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So update... Service manager thought I was crazy and reluctantly took it for a drive. Luckily the car did the same exact thing before he was even able to leave the lot, and he was blown away at what happened. Still not sure what it is, but will keep us posted. At least the problem was replicated right away and they are taking it very seriously.

I get not slamming a brand or a car right away, but put yourself in my shoes and think to yourself of your wife driving with your kids in the car and this happened.

I understand your frustration. While your situation sounds like it was more dangerous than the issues I have had with mine I understand how you feel.

I assume this was a 2014MY vehicle by your statement of having owned the vehicle for 2 months?

Have you had any other issues with your vehicle?

Looking forward to how LR handles an outcome with you and your vehicle.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem probably has something to do with the new electric transmission wheel that replaced the 2013 shift lever. I brought our LR4 in for service a few months ago and the dealer had two 2014 loaner LR4's that were stuck in park. So I got the usual LR2 loaner.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MY14 goes into park automatically if you are not in park when you turn off the ignition and the LR isn't in motion. The gear selector knob also retracts back into the console. I bet the engine shut down because of some electrical issue and then the LR went into park and the knob retracted. It probably didn't go into park while the engine was running and the truck was moving.

But can the car shut down in the middle of motion with some speed (whatever it is) and if that happens does the knob goes into park? If it can thats pretty scary thought.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But can the car shut down in the middle of motion with some speed (whatever it is) and if that happens does the knob goes into park? If it can thats pretty scary thought.

I agree, that would be scary! I doubt that's what is actually happening here though. If so, that should be grounds for a major recall. This is a transmission and motor that has been used in other vehicles for some time now. I'd think something major like that would have been exposed by now.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I am hearing it sounds like software in the transmission module. If it can be replicated it will be easier for them to identify the software issue. But it is also generally the case that all the cars would have the same version of that software or if not that could be identified. I heard of a woman in Jackson Hole whose truck stopped at a stoplight, went into Park and would not start. Hopefully if the cause is the same they can identify the software issue and fix it.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I am hearing it sounds like software in the transmission module. If it can be replicated it will be easier for them to identify the software issue. But it is also generally the case that all the cars would have the same version of that software or if not that could be identified. I heard of a woman in Jackson Hole whose truck stopped at a stoplight, went into Park and would not start. Hopefully if the cause is the same they can identify the software issue and fix it.

imagine yourself being on an off road trail, or way out there, "farther" (as the LR has called it in some advertisements) away from the city just to enjoy the night stars, and this happens. Man, these things are way overly electronic to a point where things are getting unpredictable. When I first heard about the rotary knob and saw the fancy up/down action at engine start/stop with a loaner Jag, I was like, there you go, another thing (electric motor for the knob in this case) that could go wrong now. DSC, ARM, traction control, etc, I could understand, but this is getting to to be too much as the stakes (just getting stuck out there somewhere with no cell phone signal, etc and waiting for the help to arrive) are much higher with a vehicle designed to go past civilization.

Some may argue that the same could be said about the electric window roll up/down switches, but you could still drive home with one broken/stuck, perhaps with a little more breeze/wind/rain than you may desire at that time.

And how about electric steering that have started to creep in now (new Range Rover, for example). How long before someone misuses the technology and decides to "hack" into your vehicle and drives you to a location they desire or deem necessary for you to arrive at :) If GM's northstar has the capability to remotely slow the engine of your vehicle down to lower speeds (or to a complete halt, I think) as seen on a TV ad, then electric steering just completes the deal. Or, even with those redundant and/or protective circuits/programming (if they are even there), what if the on-borad computer module craps out (these are just computer/circuit boards you know, like the ones at home/work), misreads the incoming vehicle data, and steers you in the wrong direction causing a serious or even fatal accident, God forbids. Sure, you may get justice in the form of a verdict in your favor along with a huge monetary compensation from that massive law-suit but what good all that money is to you if you are not there to enjoy it.

As much of a tech savvy, technology loving, engineering geek I am, there are some things, personally I'd just like to leave them mechanical with no electrons involved in them :)

Last edited:

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should know this, because I have a MY14... does anyone know if there is a way to get the transmission into neutral without turning on the ignition or even having power? I will have to look in the owner's manual.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imagine yourself being on an off road trail, or way out there, "farther" (as the LR has called it in some advertisements) away from the city just to enjoy the night stars, and this happens. Man, these things are way overly electronic to a point where things are getting unpredictable. When I first heard about the rotary knob and saw the fancy up/down action at engine start/stop with a loaner Jag, I was like, there you go, another thing (electric motor for the knob in this case) that could go wrong now. DSC, ARM, traction control, etc, I could understand, but this is getting too to be too much as the stakes (just getting stuck out there somewhere with no cell phone signal, etc and waiting for help to arrive) are much higher with a vehicle designed to go past civilization.

Some may argue that the same could be said about the electric window roll up/down switches, but you could still drive home with one broken/stuck, perhaps with a little more breeze/wind/rain than you may desire at that time.

And how about electric steering that have started to creep in now (new Range Rover, for example). How long before someone misuses the technology and decides to "hack" into your vehicle and drives you to a location they desire or deem necessary for you to arrive at :) If GM's northstar has the capability to remotely slow the engine of your vehicle down to lower speeds (or to a complete halt, I think) as seen on a TV ad, then electric steering just completes the deal. Or what if the on-borad computer module craps out (these are just computer/circuit boards you know, like the ones at home/work), misreads the incoming vehicle data, and steers you in the wrong direction causing a serious accident God forbids. There are some things, personally I'd just like to leave them mechanical with no electrons involved in them :)
I completely agree! I would love to have a very simple, minimal computer vehicle. I hate the idea of having a computer issue off the beaten path. Scary!!!

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much of a tech savvy, technology loving, engineering geek I am, there are some things, personally I'd just like to leave them mechanical with no electrons involved in them :)

Amen, brother. Too many parts now integrated and computerized into a single component.

To the OP, your situation is very scary. Hope this all works out and glad nobody was injured.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72