2014 LR4: Biggest POS Ever Owned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the 2nd time in, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope they can fix it! From what I can find online it's got to go in 4 times before I can do anything?

This all depends on your states laws. Typically a google search will result with the details. I know in my state it was 3 times for the same issue un resolved or 30 days in the shop both must happen before 18 months of purchase but it can be either or.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranmission Faults must be a problem with the new '14 LR4's. Mine has only 2,600 miles and it's now back at the dealer for the 2nd time in the last 2 weeks. It won't engage any gear, even neutral, so it's had to be towed twice. First time in, the service manager told me there was a problem with the "transmission pan when the temperature goes below 15 degrees". The car lasted 3 days on the road before it failed again. Really frustrating.

Ugh sorry to hear.
What did the dealer do to your LR4 on the first visit?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned from 2005 LR3, never purchase a first model year vehicle. In the case of the 14s, the changes are significant enough to warrant some time to fix the bugs, and there will be bugs.

Odd that the OP has been silent.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned from 2005 LR3, never purchase a first model year vehicle. In the case of the 14s, the changes are significant enough to warrant some time to fix the bugs, and there will be bugs.

Odd that the OP has been silent.

I assumed with better quality reviews and since the engine and transmission was already integrated into other models (IE: RRS and a Bunch of Jag Models) that there would be no issues. That was why I went for a new one. Plus the 2 MPG on the highway improvement as we travel long distances frequently.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assumed with better quality reviews and since the engine and transmission was already integrated into other models (IE: RRS and a Bunch of Jag Models) that there would be no issues. That was why I went for a new one. Plus the 2 MPG on the highway improvement as we travel long distances frequently.

I've never had an engine or transmission issue with my LR4 or LR3. The gremlins are in the suspension, electronics, sensors, batteries, drains, brake control module compressors, etc. Sounds like the OP's problems are in that area.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had an engine or transmission issue with my LR4 or LR3. The gremlins are in the suspension, electronics, sensors, batteries, drains, brake control module compressors, etc. Sounds like the OP's problems are in that area.

Right, those were my concerns as well until those were not my issue. So far for the 2014's I have seen more issues around engine and transmission than anything else.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought a 2014, you need to have the expectations of any first year model. They have more bugs to work out. You wouldn't think it should be that new, but changing out the entire drivetrain is a big change. Lots of electronics got changed as well.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought a 2014, you need to have the expectations of any first year model. They have more bugs to work out. You wouldn't think it should be that new, but changing out the entire drivetrain is a big change. Lots of electronics got changed as well.

I hear that argument but the entire drive terrain is already in the RRS and RRC.

The only difference I could agree to with the wiring is that the LR4 has older components than the Rovers.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, those were my concerns as well until those were not my issue. So far for the 2014's I have seen more issues around engine and transmission than anything else.

That's understandable considering this was a major change to the V6. Maybe with gas prices dropping, they'll offer a V8 version again. God forbid they introduce the Diesel version to the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72