2014 LR4 lux delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. My sentiments exactly! At least keep some model that is classic Land Rover.

We have seen some news about Land Rover going with three platforms, each catering to a different segment (wasn't one of them capability?), but I don't think they are going to have a Land Rover product that us purists/enthusiasts will be trading in our older rigs to buy. I love my 2013 LR4, and I likely plan to keep it long-term (reliability willing). I just would not be happy with a new Range Rover or Range Rover Sport. The 2014 LR4 hasn't changed much, but you can see the softer direction they are going and the catering to the masses. Don't get me wrong, I can see why Land Rover/Jaguar (Tata) is changing their game a bit from the old generation Land Rovers, as they are strategically catering to the people who buy Land Rovers right now. They could not make a living making a product just for "us". With that said, I do hope they at least hold onto some form of classic Land Rover capability and style amidst their future line up.

Depending on the future line up and look of the "Discovery" in a few years, I'd likely get a nicely restored Defender or just jump ship and get a Mercedes G wagon (as long as they don't make it look like a variant of the ML). I want a box on wheels.

For now, I'll stick with my 2013 LR4 and continue to customize.

Happy Holidays!

Regards, David

I heard/read somewhere (i think it was review/comparison between the new range rover and G wagon, on youtube) that the story with the G-Wagon was that Mercedes had decided to pull the plug but there was quite a bit out cry from owners out there and they decided to continue the model.

I am a big fan of LR's current integrated body-frame and it's benefits both on and off road, its a perfect combination, would hate to see it go, no other SUV can claim that design. Really as of now the lexus 570 has no contender in terms of combination of luxury, comfort, 7-seats, off-raod ability, and smooth highway ride. But LR4 beats it in many ways except the upgraded lexus material/fit/finish quality (which Range Rover does have). if LR upgraded the LR4's interior fit, finish, and material quality up to the Range Rover's level, added supercharge V8, and other things like Adaptive Dynamics suspension, acoustic laminated wind screen and window glass, etc, (and all this adding a bit more weight to make it close to 6000 pounds as lx-570) they would have a one hell of a contender for the 90k lexus-570. I for one would not mind spending that much for another LR flagship model in the form of LR4. The supercharge V8 would give LR4 an edge over lexus' 5.7 liter v8, and the adaptive dynamics suspension would offer Range Rover' comfortable ride quality as well has flatter corners. Range Rover itself is just not practical for me due lack of third row seats, less cargo, bare minimum 20 inch wheels, etc. How many times I have tried to build it online to see if I could somehow make it practical for my needs but it always falls short.

Yes, I want a box on wheels too, but a luxury box, a box that is a good of compromise in a subtle way for good dynamics for smooth/quiet freeway ride quality, which LR4 currently provides with perfect balance between more roomy boxy cabin vs some tapered/rounded body dynamics to deal with wind tunnel situations.

Every time I drive my LR4 on the freeway and hit above 70 or 80 mph, the thing is just smooth as hell giving me a feeling that I could step on it even more, up to 90 mph there is no stress at all in terms being aware of the steering etc. And all of that 5600 or 5700 pounds of weight keeps all four corners well planted on the surface even if its windy out.

Last edited:

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have spent up to low $80's on a LR4 with a supercharged V8, IF Land Rover's reliability and dealership experience improved from subpar pathetic to above average, as I like a "box on wheels". Sadly, this is not happening.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
You guys are making me think I should just get the G63 and call it a day. Unfortunately the mpg is horrid and the fuel tank isn't big enough for long distance outback touring without dragging a gas station behind me. Why cant the LR4 come with a V8 that takes regular and produces 400hp with more allowable option upgrades with 18" wheel options. I love the new RRSC and it drives 100% better than the previous model and is insanely comfortable. But dang, I'd be nervous to scrape those pretty 22" wheels.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me think I should just get the G63 and call it a day. Unfortunately the mpg is horrid and the fuel tank isn't big enough for long distance outback touring without dragging a gas station behind me. Why cant the LR4 come with a V8 that takes regular and produces 400hp with more allowable option upgrades with 18" wheel options. I love the new RRSC and it drives 100% better than the previous model and is insanely comfortable. But dang, I'd be nervous to scrape those pretty 22" wheels.
The only things I don't like about the G63 is the Eco start/stop feature and the location of the exhaust tips. My friend just got one and it's amazing - so true to it's heritage and such a tank. Sure the MPGs are horrific, but if you start modifying the LR4 it gets worse and worse pretty fast. I am lucky to now get 240 miles range on a fill up. To go on any long distance I have several Jerry cans that hook on the roof. I know some folks have done an auxiliary gas tank under the spare tire area (in Australia I believe???).

I love my LR4, the design, and the V8. With that said, it may be my last Land Rover depending on the direction of the design. The new RR SCV8 is brilliant and I actually like certain colors/trims, but I would likely go with the G. I think the new RRS is brilliant as far as engineering, but I don't like the looks at all. I don't mind the front on certain trims, but the low roof line and rear is ugly (in my opinion). I just don't like the bloated Evoque-like design. Not for me.

I will say I've driven a G and it rides a lot worse than the LR4, but it's a tank and the fit and finish is impeccable. Even though it's built amazing, it rides like an old truck. I love that though because that's what I think it should be. I also want the Discovery to stay a Discovery in design and heritage, but something tells me a lot of us won't like the new designs (whenever those will come).

Keep us posted and good luck!

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
The only things I don't like about the G63 is the Eco start/stop feature and the location of the exhaust tips. My friend just got one and it's amazing - so true to it's heritage and such a tank. Sure the MPGs are horrific, but if you start modifying the LR4 it gets worse and worse pretty fast. I am lucky to now get 240 miles range on a fill up. To go on any long distance I have several Jerry cans that hook on the roof. I know some folks have done an auxiliary gas tank under the spare tire area (in Australia I believe???).

I love my LR4, the design, and the V8. With that said, it may be my last Land Rover depending on the direction of the design. The new RR SCV8 is brilliant and I actually like certain colors/trims, but I would likely go with the G. I think the new RRS is brilliant as far as engineering, but I don't like the looks at all. I don't mind the front on certain trims, but the low roof line and rear is ugly (in my opinion). I just don't like the bloated Evoque-like design. Not for me.

I will say I've driven a G and it rides a lot worse than the LR4, but it's a tank and the fit and finish is impeccable. Even though it's built amazing, it rides like an old truck. I love that though because that's what I think it should be. I also want the Discovery to stay a Discovery in design and heritage, but something tells me a lot of us won't like the new designs (whenever those will come).

Keep us posted and good luck!

I could not agree with you more. The RR S rearend looks terrible. The G exchaust placement makes no sense. I've driven my buddies 2008 G wagon and it put a huge smile on my face. Not sure I would take it on long road trips with the wife. She hates her sport tuned BMW here in CO. because of the potholes she hits daily, car makes a huge thud and I'm worried the G will do the same. Only one way to find out and that is have her test drive one. The RRSC is much more practical compared to the G in terms of an all-n-one pkg. Resale value G wins hands down. May take the wife to drive both on the same day when Mercedes has a G to drive.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me (and I am likely the odd case here) the exterior looks are way down on my priority list. But my issues with the RRS are also a result of that smashed rear end. To me the truck is not only something to drive in but also a base of operations for a number of outdoor activities. And I'll often have people with me in the back. Or in some cases will sit in the back while its cold or stormy outside as I prepare my gear or eat a meal. The LR4 is almost unique in these aspects and the RRS is no better than an X5 or Audi Q7 or MDX.

I am certainly hoping that LR keeps the LR in their lineup. I don't mind if they add other products for the cross-over market or those who are more about style than substance. But I believe that if they lose the LR4 and the RR then they will lose their distinctiveness. And me as a customer.

So I plan to treat this LR4 as well as I can so I can keep it as long as I can.

As for resale, I have heard of issues. But I LOL because I currently have a vehicle from one of the top 2 Japanese companies with an excellent reliability record - better by far than the Germans - and yet you will read similar horror stories about things that don't work and the manufacturer not being able to reproduce or prove or fix the issue. Especially in the first couple years of a new model.

When seriously considering a Land Cruiser as part of my recent decision process I looked at prices of 5 year old Land Rovers and 5 year old LR4s. Keeping in mind that the Land Cruiser starts out $10-20K higher after 5 years I would not get that back in resale. In fact, it seemed to me that the drop in price in the 1st and 2nd year was pretty significant for both. In absolute dollars (not %) I would not be able to make up the difference in original purchase price. I did not compare the German makes so I am not sure what would happen there.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
You make valid points Dan. I called Mark but he wasn't in and I'll try and contact him Monday as LR is closed today. I'm still looking forward to test driving the LR4 2013 and 14 side by side. Why can't they build them to take regular fuel. I've always wanted to do the Continental divide and the only place that have fuel during the trip from what some have reported was regular and diesel fuel only. The biggest plus for me on the LR4 over my 200 series land cruiser is the cargo spaced plowed by its refinement. I also will hangout in the back when the weather is bad preparing my gear and my land cruiser falls short of room.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did talk with Mark yesterday but that was early in the day before they got busy. I will say that if you want to drive a '14 and '13 back to back you need to go to the new Kuni store in Littleton. They have become one of the largest dealers in the country. It is rare for Flatirons to have a '14 available for a test drive.

As for regular I am not the expert but I don't think any damage would be done with an occasional tank of Regular. You might want to post that as a thread if it is not already there. Not consistent use of regular but the occasional use when you can't find higher octane.

And, like you, the biggest draw for me with the LR over the LC is the spaciousness of the back half of the LR4 coupled with the windows and glass roof.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me (and I am likely the odd case here) the exterior looks are way down on my priority list. But my issues with the RRS are also a result of that smashed rear end. To me the truck is not only something to drive in but also a base of operations for a number of outdoor activities. And I'll often have people with me in the back. Or in some cases will sit in the back while its cold or stormy outside as I prepare my gear or eat a meal. The LR4 is almost unique in these aspects and the RRS is no better than an X5 or Audi Q7 or MDX.

I am certainly hoping that LR keeps the LR in their lineup. I don't mind if they add other products for the cross-over market or those who are more about style than substance. But I believe that if they lose the LR4 and the RR then they will lose their distinctiveness. And me as a customer.

So I plan to treat this LR4 as well as I can so I can keep it as long as I can.

As for resale, I have heard of issues. But I LOL because I currently have a vehicle from one of the top 2 Japanese companies with an excellent reliability record - better by far than the Germans - and yet you will read similar horror stories about things that don't work and the manufacturer not being able to reproduce or prove or fix the issue. Especially in the first couple years of a new model.

When seriously considering a Land Cruiser as part of my recent decision process I looked at prices of 5 year old Land Rovers and 5 year old LR4s. Keeping in mind that the Land Cruiser starts out $10-20K higher after 5 years I would not get that back in resale. In fact, it seemed to me that the drop in price in the 1st and 2nd year was pretty significant for both. In absolute dollars (not %) I would not be able to make up the difference in original purchase price. I did not compare the German makes so I am not sure what would happen there.
I actually agree with you completely - looks is a factor, but I am much more impressed with functionality and capability. I like the iconic look of the Discovery and the fact that it holds so much cargo (including people). It's unmatched in many ways.

You hit the nail on the head. The Evoque and RRS are basically to cater to the cross over / everyday SUV crowd. I can see why LR is trying to expand their market, that's great, as long as they leave us a true Discovery/Defender-type vehicle.

The market now is not guys like us, but folks who are looking at the BMW X5/X3, Mercedes SUVs, Audi Q line, Lexus SUVs, etc. I get it, LR has to be more mainstream to make money. I just hope they can keep a bit of their history and purpose alive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM