3rd Row Seatback Folding Problem: Seatbelt Latch Doesn't Retract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeler

Reaction score
Hi, all. When you fold the third row seat backs flat into storage position, a strap beneath the load floor is supposed to cause the seat belt latch to swivel down out of the way, allowing the seat back to click flat and level.

One of my 3rd row seats folds properly but on the other one you can see a small plastic retaining strap has broken. Now that seat belt latch remains facing up, ready to receive a seat belt buckle, and blocks that seat back from sitting flush and storing properly. It is possible to fold the seat back flat by using your other hand to swing the latch and hold it down and out of the way while you keep pressing the seat back closed and pinch your fingers, but it's a bit awkward.

My independent service shop looked up the plastic strap and if we're reading it right, it seems to cost about $150.

I realize this post would benefit from photos but there's very little clearance or visibility without taking out the adjacent seat. Has anyone taken this apart before? I'm wondering if we could accomplish the needed mechanical connection with a zip tie or a piece of wire, etc. Thanks!

wheeler

Reaction score
Resolved

Wanted to provide info about my fix in case this could help someone else. After work today I had a little more time to look into this issue and it looks like I've resolved it with a 15 inch heavy duty zip tie. Photos below tell the story, but essentially a plastic strap connects the swiveling seat belt latch to the seat back and as you fold the seat back down, it pulls the strap and the latch automatically recedes to allow everything to fold flat.

I'm not certain we identified the correct part, but my independent dealer quoted me a hugely expensive replacement part, so this five minute repair is very welcome. I don't use the third row seats too often, so I expect this should hold up for awhile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.10.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.10.55 PM.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.17.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.17.21 PM.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.19.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.19.59 PM.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.28.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.28.36 PM.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 80

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, wheeler. I have the same problem in my 2011 LR4. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said he had seen that before and could order the part to fix it. Fortunately I'm still under warranty but this is still a good repair hack to know about.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing timing!
I was just reminded of this issue this morning when putting the seat down.
Has been catching for years!

Thank you, can't wait to get home and fix this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72