4.6 03 Discovery clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumples

Reaction score
Don't waste your time on looking up oil info. Even in hot weather even a 10/20 will bot cause clicking although it does call for heavier oil in the summer lighter in the winter.
You ned to do an oil pressure test to determine if you oil pump is failing then you need to do a complete valve train inspection on the rocker shafts, rocker arms, push rods cam lobe and lifter surfaces and lifter spring tension.

I believe the mechanic did an oil pressure test and determined the oil pump was in working condition. He took the engine completely apart over the past few weeks. All looks to be in good order except the worn lifters so that's what's being replaced. The truck was serviced regularly so many of the other parts do not need replacing

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much for your good mechanic knowledge. Rover cams are very soft and can wear the surface of the lifters. When that happens you have to replace the cam along with the lifters, if you don't your new lifter will have their harden surface ruined and then you get to do it again along with a new cam.
As for the oil pressure test, you need 4 sets of oil pressure readings cold at idle, cold at 2000 RPM's, hot at idle and hot at 2000 RPM's. If this was not done correctly, his findings won't be even close to accurate.

Fumples

Reaction score
So much for your good mechanic knowledge. Rover cams are very soft and can wear the surface of the lifters. When that happens you have to replace the cam along with the lifters, if you don't your new lifter will have their harden surface ruined and then you get to do it again along with a new cam.
As for the oil pressure test, you need 4 sets of oil pressure readings cold at idle, cold at 2000 RPM's, hot at idle and hot at 2000 RPM's. If this was not done correctly, his findings won't be even close to accurate.

I think that if the lifters were replaced he'd do the cam too. I am aware they are mutually inclusive. Unfortunately I'm not contacting the mechanic myself, it's through my family and they're telling me everything they know over the phone. I'll send off a text now to confirm. The job should be finished this week.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you had better responsible and find out exactly what he has done, granted it is your truck and I can not tell you what to do, it is not my truck or my money, it's your's.

Fumples

Reaction score
Well good news and bad news. The good news is that the clicking was 100% a lifter. We had them done and it fixed the tapping, however upon re-assembling the engine there is a distinct squeal/squeak can be heard on short intervals.. it is not a continuous sound.

Any ideas? It's still in the shop and the mechanic is still fixing it, but does anyone know what it could be? Maybe they didn't tighten a belt when re-assembling the engine? Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to send me your number so I can help you with fool of a mechanic.
Do you understand that you new lifters will be destroyed because the cam was not rep[l;aced.

Fumples

Reaction score
You might want to send me your number so I can help you with fool of a mechanic.
Do you understand that you new lifters will be destroyed because the cam was not rep[l;aced.

I'm not sure if I made it clearer earlier, apologies, the cam WAS actually replaced, I originally thought that only the collapsed lifters were repaired but it turns out he did replace all the lifters and the cam.
My cell is 6098466127, if you want to give me a call i'm available after 12:30PM EST all day tomorrow.

Last edited:

RoverPartsGuy

Reaction score
I have this very problem. Have been looking into putting it under the knife to attempt fixing it. I'll do more homework...

Fumples

Reaction score
Little update.

Cam seals are fine, called and asked about oil pressure test, all I've heard so far was hot, it ran at 28-30psi IDLE. Not sure about any other numbers but my guy told me the oil was fine and he's looking at something called a "lash cap". Not sure what it is but he's not working on anything until I give the OK.

edit: It's in the shop again not because of the lifters but because my father back it up into a tree... there goes another 400. I know the bumpers are easy to replace but would rather just the mechanic do it. Not a big deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM