4.6 03 Discovery clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumples

Reaction score
You must do an oil pressure test prior to tearing the engine down not after it has been opened up. Has this mechanic ever opened up a Rover engine, what will he be looking for and how much is he charging you to tear it down?
I am only asking because so far you have been doing all your work some what out of order or guidance as to what to look for.

He's opened up rover engines before, he's going to look at the lifters and the valve train to determine the source of the tapping. He thinks it's an issue with the lifters but I trust he knows what he's doing.

There are no rover service centers within an hour and a half of where I live, so I'm relying on someone who has worked with many LR's in the past. Regardless of your approval he is the best that I can work with

grumpy_bottom

Reaction score
Have you already tried the ATF trick for noisy lifters before giving someone lots of $ to tear the top end apart? I sort of assume that Disco Mike would have given you this suggestion as a "first shot" but just in case i figured i would ask.

Fumples

Reaction score
Have you already tried the ATF trick for noisy lifters before giving someone lots of $ to tear the top end apart? I sort of assume that Disco Mike would have given you this suggestion as a "first shot" but just in case i figured i would ask.

No, do you have a link to a tutorial to try this?!? That would be very helpful.

In regards to the truck, it's been in the shop for a few weeks. The problem has unfortunately been found to be with the lifters so they're getting redone. The reason it's been in the shop so long is because I'm up at university and told the mechanic to take his time because I won't start driving it for another month or so.

Also, another question for anyone who may know - I go to university in Syracuse and during the winters it gets EXTREMELY cold.. Would it benefit to switch oil thickness during the winter, or should I remain using the same thickness Rotella brand I see recommended so much on here.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They determine oil used by the type of weather just need to know how cold does it get there

Fumples

Reaction score
They determine oil used by the type of weather just need to know how cold does it get there

During the winters it averages about 20-30 degrees fahrenheit, at nights obviously it's lower. Usually there's about a week of extreme cold, i've seen it in the negatives for a couple days in a row but it mostly stays around that temp.

I'm using 15w40. Should I switch to 10w30 or 5w30? And to continue cleaning should I use something like half a quart of sea foam?

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't find a chart I read in a different forum. They do recommend changing the oil depending on how hot/cold it is. I would call your local LR dealer to see what they recommend.

Fumples

Reaction score
Can't find a chart I read in a different forum. They do recommend changing the oil depending on how hot/cold it is. I would call your local LR dealer to see what they recommend.

Damn. If you find it let me know!

I'll try finding a place. Unfortunately due to where I live there aren't any dealers within about an hour and a half of me, however I'll see if I can look around on the internet.

Thank you!!

grumpy_bottom

Reaction score
Noisy lifters that have lost oil pressure can usually be rehabilitated by draining 1-2 quarts of regular engine oil, adding back the same amount of ATF, and running at no load (i.e. not while driving) between 2000-3000 rpms until they quiet down. Once they do, change oil completely right away. Its worked for me on Porsche, BMW and Benz motors with terrible chatters with great success.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time on looking up oil info. Even in hot weather even a 10/20 will bot cause clicking although it does call for heavier oil in the summer lighter in the winter.
You ned to do an oil pressure test to determine if you oil pump is failing then you need to do a complete valve train inspection on the rocker shafts, rocker arms, push rods cam lobe and lifter surfaces and lifter spring tension.

Fumples

Reaction score
Noisy lifters that have lost oil pressure can usually be rehabilitated by draining 1-2 quarts of regular engine oil, adding back the same amount of ATF, and running at no load (i.e. not while driving) between 2000-3000 rpms until they quiet down. Once they do, change oil completely right away. Its worked for me on Porsche, BMW and Benz motors with terrible chatters with great success.

Thank you! I will be sure to keep that in mind. I'm waiting on the car now but if the lifter noise is still there that will be exactly what I'll try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM