66k iles Yellow engine light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this normal? I don't do the stealership rip-off maintenance program, so I just do most required things myself. Car runs great with exception of what sounds like some belt chirping going on at idle and the occasional vibrating steering wheel from 55-70mph.

Need some work done and to check on some other things as well, can anyone recommend a city of Chicago shop that works on these and can pull codes as well as turn off check engine lights?

Also, anyone know an easy fix for the "gas cap loose" warning that comes on? Cap/door is obvioulsy fine, just get that warning once in a great while and its more annoying than anything.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow check engine light means there is a fault, or several stored in the system. Need a fault code before anything else. But seeing as how you also have a 'gas cap loose' message, I would say you're looking at an EVAP system leak, P0442 or P0455. Have the codes read, if those are the only ones in there, taking care of the EVAP leak will rectify the SES light and the gas cap message.

Trynian

Reaction score
Yellow check engine light means there is a fault, or several stored in the system. Need a fault code before anything else. But seeing as how you also have a 'gas cap loose' message, I would say you're looking at an EVAP system leak, P0442 or P0455. Have the codes read, if those are the only ones in there, taking care of the EVAP leak will rectify the SES light and the gas cap message.

Yes, if you have a gas cap message for more then a couple test cycles the engine light will activate. Been there, in my case the leak test pump was going out and needed to be replaced.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the loose gas cap warning randomly last fall in addition to a few other errors that would eventually just go away. This was generally on cold mornings, and my fix was to replace the battery and there have been no random faults since then.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you have a gas cap message for more then a couple test cycles the engine light will activate. Been there, in my case the leak test pump was going out and needed to be replaced.

This seems most likely since the loose gas cap message has been spotty on and off over the last year, just now getting worse, can any old mechanic do this? Any sites to get parts if I need em? cost? No warranty so I'd like to keep it cheap if I can, and hate dealership service

Last edited:

escociabhoy

Reaction score
I had the loose/missing gas cap warning several times last year which I ignored because it was intermittent, I then got a yellow engine light and took it to an Autozone and had them read the codes (which is free) and they told me it was an evap issue, a new $10 gas cap was the fix. You should get the codes checked before you do anything.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the loose/missing gas cap warning several times last year which I ignored because it was intermittent, I then got a yellow engine light and took it to an Autozone and had them read the codes (which is free) and they told me it was an evap issue, a new $10 gas cap was the fix. You should get the codes checked before you do anything.

awesome, I heard a commercial on the radio about getting your codes checked at AZ for free, so I was going to do just that! Thanks for the heads up! Do you by chance remember what code it was?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 usually isn't the gas cap, I've seen it, but it's rare, and you'll be able to visually see a tear in the rubber seal.

The most common reasons for a P0442 or P0455 on these is the DMTL pump. Although there have been a large number of fuel pump seals, and line seals that have caused this problem.

Usually the purge valve will cause a P0441 fault, which will not show the gas cap loose message.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is a P0442 code took it to the emissions place and obviously failed... can someone with limited mechanical expertise fix this or will I have to take it to a mechanic?

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turns out all i had to do was change the gas cap and get the codes reset lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49