88 Classic 2' inch lift MAX tire clearance question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

siambxr

Hello there, a newbee in this forum and seeking for some advice.. I ma planing to up my tire size real soon and was wondering what are the best tires ( in size ) that I can fit on me Rover 1988 with an OME HD spring kit? I was reading that I can go 245/75/16 without any problems are there any other tire setups that have been proven to work out there? just getting ready for the fall. Hollister Ca should be really fun when muddy..thanks folks..

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did 265/75/16 with no problems at all. However the tires did rub a little om the chassis. This was easily fixed by adjusting one little bolt on the inside of the wheel. I can post a picture if you want.

D

discomike

Paul,
Just be aware that when you go to a 265/75/16, which I like, you are biting into what little power you have. I don't what your planning to do with your truck or how OK you are with your current power, but it will take a little more effort to get up to highway speed.
Mike J.

S

siambxr

Hey thanks slam and Disco mike.. The power is okay freeway wise, takes a bit of time to reach up to speed but it's bearable.. My setup right now is just fully stock ( 205/8016 ) Michelin's and they do just fine on the medium level course in Holister but I want to climb the black diamonds.. I just really like to climb hills and do some mud stuff..But these tires have to go for that type of fun.. I was even thinking of getting the 215 / 85 / 16 in wich the axel gets 1' of clearance and no suspension mod are needed.. Will the 245/75/16 rub big time if I dont put the Emu springs ? Oh ya slam photos of the mods would be cool just in case I go that route..

D

discomike

Paul,
I believe the 245's will rub with a little lift.
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 245's do not rub that much more than the 265's. You loose a little more turning radius, but that is all. I really like everything about the 265's but that is just a personal opinion. Here is a picture of the bolt that you have to adjust. It is not a great shot, but you will see it when you look under the vehicle...:biggrin:

Attachments

• bolt for tires.jpg
    bolt for tires.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 203
S

siambxr

Hey thanks Slam.. I was geting info from this site > http://www.rangerovers.net/rrtires.html
They did say that the 245/75/16s fit on stock classics but must adjust the steering stops.. I'm ordering my tires from tire rack tomorrow hehe I got someone to buy my stock Michilins for 60 bucks a pop.. COOLIO !

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! You are going to love your tires. I went to Costco for my tires, and then got their price. Then I took their price to Big O and asked if they could beat Costco's price and they beat it by $20 or so. I got a killer deal! Good luck.

S

siambxr

Okay so the tires are on, no rubbing at all not unless you backing up and have the wheel turned max to the left or the right. One thing I noticed is these tires don't corner as well as the XPC's 205/80/16s, maybe wrong tire pressure? but I have WAY hella more of grip action.. So what tire pressure should I be running on these new tires I got ( Dunlop Mud Rovers 245/75/16s ) thanks Rangies

D

discomike

Paul,
I would look at 35#'s in the front and 40#'s in the rear. You can go higher when loaded up to close to 50# in the front and the same in the rear.
It is more of a matter of trying them out and see how it feels.
Don't forget you can adjust your steering stops to prevent any rubbing when backing up.
Mike j.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM