95 Disco will not engage 4w HI-LO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

DAHall

I am a new member been reading this forum for a few months, I really like it.
I have a '95 Disco 3.9 v8 103k on the clock light damage to the right front (bumper, hood, fender) this sucker will not engage 4w HI-LO. Anyone have any ideas? This forum is one of the reasons I bought a Disco, seems like you folks help each other out. Thanks Dave Hall

D

DAHall

Thanks I'll give that a whirl. Talk about a fast reply..this is a great forum.
Dave Hall

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also spraying around with penetrating oil may help too.

What do you mean by not engaging? Is it wont move lever, or you move lever and it just not switching?

Have you tried to do it with transmission in N? :)

D

DAHall

The lever will not move. I have tried to "shift" this thing in all the ways described above. I think the link above is my next step.
Thanks Dave Hall

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, remember to be patient with getting the lever free. It took me a couple of attempts at it before it worked. Follow the directions in the link and spray a great deal of lube on it the night before you plan on working on it.

If your lever won't move at all, I would just go straight to removing the console and remove the linkage. Once removed, you can spray it with lube and clean out all of the gunk thats been accumulating. Let us know how it goes and expect it to at least take you the better part of a weekend.

D

DAHall

Mike..Sergei Thankyou very much for your help. I don't know much about these Discos but I sure do like mine and I am a fast learner. As far as patience goes I have a fair amount...I also have a 78 280Z, sometimes these little B's can test your limit...again Thankyou. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave Hall

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

i am serious - make sure your transmission is in neutral. Sometime people forgetting about it.
If it wont go, let truck move for a tad (while in N), this helps shifting sometime (prescribed officially in manual). If it still wont go, then spraying around with penetrating lubricant & etc.

Only thing to remember - try to not bend it :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the lever will bend if you're not careful. I've read that if the shifter is bent, it could cause the cdl lock light to come on when its not actually engaged. The fix is to bend it back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9