97 Range Rover overheating problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okrim

Reaction score
HI, new to this so I hope someone can give me some sound advice. I have a 97 RR and it is overheating, replaced thermostat and still doing the same, boiling out of the holding tank. Any ideas how to check the system????? or what could be wrong with it. I know there are probably many things, but what are some of the easier fixes. Thanks again

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your Radiator flushed would be the next easy thing. I'm not sure on landrovers where the berp valve is but did you get all the air out of the system? Also what engine do you have?

okrim

Reaction score
Have a 4.6 engine, is there a way to tell if the water pump is bad??

okrim

Reaction score
Also noticed that my two fans in front of the radiator are not comming on, any ideas on that. when problems hit, they hit in bunches.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The front two fans should come on when you use the A/C, if they do not, then either a sensor is bad, or the fans themselves may be bad.

okrim

Reaction score
Any way to check if the fans are good or bad by jumpering out something? Also what are the symptoms when a head gasket is blown?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you can jumper the fans, just unplug and add 12v. Head Gasket blown = overheating, possible leaking antifreeze, antifreeze levels going down constantly. Easy check it to chemically check the antifreeze.

F

ferdierooke

symptoms

hi Okrim!

here are some of the symptoms when your head gasket is broken..

-Steam or white smoke out the exhaust
- White/yellow gunk on the oilcap
- Coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant

okrim

Reaction score
Thanks, I check them out and let you all know what the problem is.

ihassan

Reaction score
I too have a 1997 hse with recent overheating problems. My mechanic flushed radiator but problem still occured. I just purchased a used radiator and having it installed. The cooling fans do not always turn on all the time. They turn on depending on a/c operation and operating temp of the vehicle.

I know it has been a while since you posted this request for info. I would be curious to fond out if and how you cured your overheating problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM