'99 Disco II seats will not go back and front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyl604

Reaction score
Guys, need help. Driver's seat back will lie down and come up, seat bottom will raise and lower - but the seat itself will not move front to back. I switched the right and left seat switches and nothing changed. I seem to hear a slight noise below the seat when I engage the switch so it seems to be getting power when I try front to back. So it is not a fuse; it is not the switch.

Any idea what to do next? Is there a cable attached to the motor that could be broken? Is it difficult to remove the motor from under the seat and is it repairable?

Thanks

tyl604

Reaction score
Update

I now find that both right and left seat have exactly the same problem. Switches are not bad; I even tried a switch from another Disco II. Could it be that the screw on both seats which moves the seat forward and back has gone bad - and both at the same time? Someone suggested I give the seat a kick, that maybe the screw had moved seat back too far and got it stuck - tried but that did not work.

So next I guess I remove the plastic panels at the bottom of the seat(s) and look at the motor. Both seat motors are getting power but neither will move back and forth.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't see this post earlier... I would suggest raising the seat as far as you can, and look under the seat to see what offending part is not doing it job.

98Disco

Reaction score
If i rember correctly there is a small fuse block under those seats, check to see if any have blown

contend77

Reaction score
repair power seat switch when the seat is stuck in forward position

I have a 96 Land Rover Discovery and both seat switches refused to allow the seat to move backwards. Here is how to repair the switch in 5 miniutes. Take the switch out and flood it with WD-40 by moving the switch lever around to allow a visible crack to appear. Now Blow the WD 40 out with air pressure and plug it back and it will work. you may want to repeat process again if you have problems. This worked like a champ for me. I just saved you between 125.00 to 300.00 for a new switch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM