A couple QUESTIONS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I got a 98 Disco 1 w/ 84000+ miles.

First Question
My Service Engine light came on at about 83850 miles have been looking for a Maintenance Schedual but no luck. I believe this light represents a tune up is needed but not sure any suggestions?

Second Question
At cold start my disco is Idleing funny it is acting like it wants to die when you push the gas but once warmed up it is ok, I was thinking of doing a Fuel system cleaning using the gumout product at like jiffy lube or something similar. I have used the one that you put in you gas tank it stoped for a few tanks but since then has started back up. Any suggestions?

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light (CEL) will illuminate every 50K miles for emissions reasons. Ohter than that, it will also illuminate from a host of malfunctions detected by the ECU, with a code number for each malfunction detected. Since your truck is running rough, you probably have a malfuction code stored in the ECU. Any OBDII code reader can read your ECU as well as clear it, and turn off the CEL.
Using fuel injection cleaner is worth a try to get your truck to idle smooth again. Which brand is subject to personal preference, but I like Seafoam and Lucas products. Techron made by Chevron is also a good cleaner. I've also heard good things about BG-44 which is a "professional cleaner" offered at many oil change places.
Lucas fuel system cleaner is added to the fuel tank. Seafoam can be added to the tank, as well as slowly poured down the intake when the engine is running. It will remove carbon build up in the intake and cylinders.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light (CEL) will illuminate every 50K miles for emissions reasons. Ohter than that, it will also illuminate from a host of malfunctions detected by the ECU, with a code number for each malfunction detected. Since your truck is running rough, you probably have a malfuction code stored in the ECU. Any OBDII code reader can read your ECU as well as clear it, and turn off the CEL.
Using fuel injection cleaner is worth a try to get your truck to idle smooth again. Which brand is subject to personal preference, but I like Seafoam and Lucas products. Techron made by Chevron is also a good cleaner. I've also heard good things about BG-44 which is a "professional cleaner" offered at many oil change places.
Lucas fuel system cleaner is added to the fuel tank. Seafoam can be added to the tank, as well as slowly poured down the intake when the engine is running. It will remove carbon build up in the intake and cylinders.

thats the thing I have both a Check engine light which is not lit and a service engine light that is lit

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry.
The service engine light is just a timer activated relay with no connection to the ECU. It is an emissions maintenance reminder only.
Here's instructions from the workshop manual if you want to reset it:

RESET EMISSION MAINTENANCE REMINDER
The emission maintenance reminder is designed to
activate at 52,500 and 105,000 miles respectively and
will illuminate a ’Service Engine’ red warning light in
instrument binnacle.
The emission maintenance reminder must be reset
after required maintenance has been carried out and
a new tamperproof label fitted by a Land Rover of
North America dealer. This emission maintenance
reminder is part of the Emission Control System
Reset
1. The control unit is located in the passenger
footwell.
2. Identify control unit and remove from plug.
3. Remove tamperproof label to reveal access hole
for resetting.
4. Place a thin metallic probe into access hole and
momentarily electrically short between reset pins
inside unit.

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my oh my its a wonderful thing to use colors on the internet.

customers should use that more often.

might work on the ROs at work too.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disco being rough starting at cold start had a misfire but fixed the problem when i replace wireset and plugs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink