About to buy a floor jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I need a 3 ton jack, but how high does it have to extend to lift a stock discovery? There is a regular 3 ton jack for sale and there is an extended version that has a higher lift. I was wondering if the regular version would be high enough for my truck because it comes with more stuff, like jack stands and a roller thing for the same price as the other one. How high does it have to reach?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can make just about any jack work... if it is too short add a block of wood.

But relistically any floor jack should to the job. I have two, one is a cheap one I bought years ago, then I just got a newer one at Advance Auto (they were have a really good sale) I paid I think $40 for the new one that retails for almost $200 at Napa

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, sort of, I got my floor jack and hi-lift at a farm supply store. Ag supply stores seem to have all manner of cool heavy-duty equipment at a reasonable price compared to, say, the dealer, or an auto parts store like NAPA.

Just make sure that you get GOOD, heavy-duty jack stands, and USE THEM. Don't use the floor jack as a stand.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Good Point on the jack stands Moose... I use them, but didn't even think to make that point.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to pepboys and picked up a 3ton suv jack and 3 ton suv jack stands all for about $85. Not too shabby I thought. Now I'm ready to get busy on the brakes, wheel bearings, and shocks... eventually lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM