Accelerator Pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this - on a couple occasions over the past couple months when riding the break in traffic I have pushed the pedal only to rev the engine at the same time because the side of my foot caught the accelerator. The first time I chalked it up to oh well, the second time I thought what the heck, 30 years of driving and this never happened, now three times in a couple months???

I looked at the pedals in the LR3 and then the ones in my wife's Wrangler. I don't know if I am imagining things or not, but it looks like the LR3 pedals are kind of even whereas the Wrangler's accelerator is much more recessed.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know if it's something that can be changed?

Having to remember to keep my foot straight up and down is a little annoying, kind of like having to change your golf grip after 30 years.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why were you riding the brake?

...that's not a good habit.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed it, and if I would think I would have since I will often heal and toe in my TT (which is where you blip the throttle while braking to match revs). Have you changed anything else? Shoes perhaps? Maybe they are a little wider than you used to use? Or does it only happen in the LR3?

-Rich

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it, and if I would think I would have since I will often heal and toe in my TT (which is where you blip the throttle while braking to match revs). Have you changed anything else? Shoes perhaps? Maybe they are a little wider than you used to use? Or does it only happen in the LR3?

-Rich
Only happens in the LR3. I just went out and measured it and sure enough it is 1/2 inch closer than the Wrangler - 2 v 2.5 - and 1/2 inch less recessed - 1.5 v 2.

I have never had anything customized on a car before. A lot of people on this board make all kinds of changes to their rigs and I just though I'd see if anyone knew if it is possiblel to move the accelerator. It is kind of disconcerting when it happens, although now that I know the gig I am a little more conscious of where my foot is.

DonA

Reaction score
I find the pedal box to be quite nice but like richpike I am also used heel toe downshifting in a sports car.

For safety sake I would be very apprehensive about modifying anything to do with the pedals.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a few instances where applying the brake my foot is on the gas as well and the car lunges forward. It actually happened today.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I smell frivolous lawsuit and another corrupt/fake 60 Minutes feature. :smile:

For all the Audi 5000 drivers, and possibly LR3 drivers now: please learn the positions of your pedals and don't press the accelerator instead of the brake pedal when attempting to brake. :wink:

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this thread is kind of silly...

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that they are a bit more even to enable heel-toe? Obviously not a likely in an automatic, but given that the LR3/Disco3 is a world market vehicle with some nice 6-speed diesels (from what I've heard), this sounds like a possibility.

As I recall from driving a 6 speed Jeep Liberty a couple of years ago, their was a clutch-interlock override to help with starting on off road trails - ie, if you stall out on an incline/boulder/etc you could be caught on your clutch - depressing the clutch to restart the engine would cause you to slip...

I don't do much offroading, but is there a similar (ie reasonable) "off-road" use for heel-toeing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112