After market GPS ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think an lr3 is ever going to have traffic info. The only "update" capability that I am aware of is buying a new DVD set.

How do I buy the latest "update" for the Navigation? Are there after market DVD's available for this with latest maps etc?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I buy the latest "update" for the Navigation? Are there after market DVD's available for this with latest maps etc?

It's just buying a newer set of DVD's, they are not "aftermarket" but simply a newer version of what's in there already. Be aware there are a few options though. If you ever also want mexico it's better to buy the total set.

All of this info is instantly available using google...I tried this just now "land rover lr3 navigation upgrade"

Tuglife

Reaction score
On a recent trip to Fry's Electronics for something completely unrelated I picked up a refurbished one of these for $99:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2014-line/nuvi-65lm/prod140393.html

It fits perfectly in the center dash cubby and works like a charm. I plan to run the power cable from behind the GPS and perhaps add a little velcro mount - but this thing looks pretty close to a factory fit.

On a recent trip to Fry's Electronics for something completely unrelated I picked up a refurbished one of these for $99:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2014-line/nuvi-65lm/prod140393.html

It fits perfectly in the center dash cubby and works like a charm. I plan to run the power cable from behind the GPS and perhaps add a little velcro mount - but this thing looks pretty close to a factory fit.

That looks pretty great imho. I've been researching this for a while for my 06 SE. Looks like there's a few almost stock looking options but they all use Kenwood or some other format that looks expensive and rather involved and retrofitting stock sounds virtually impossible as well as expensive for a system now 10 years old. I've been looking at these garmin units. I was hoping to put a 7" model in but looks like width wise it would require cutting. Yours looks pretty darn close. Wish it were taller so it could sit further out and angled back a little like stock but for the price and difficulty level that's pretty attractive.
Could you tell me how much room you have left side to side? I see the cord coming out but I was planning to drill a small hole and hardwiring it to the 12v cigarette outlet so it powers up/down with the key turn. Looking at the 2689LMT for lifetime maps and traffic updates. Also looks like I can add a bluetooth backup camera fairly easy. The 2689 is exact same dimensions as yours only slightly thinner. Just wondering if there's any way to cram a 7" in.

Airstream345

Reaction score
Thanks. It fits pretty well in there with about 2mm of space (just enough for the power cord). I agree on hiding the cord and plan to create a pass through hole behind the unit - if only to make it look more built in and less interesting to car prowlers.

Mine is a 6" and tucks up under the lip of the dash perfectly. I looked at a 7" as well and felt like I'd need to create a custom bezel to make it look as good.

While the GPS I'm using doesn't support a backup camera I could see upgrading to one that did in the future.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an 06 LR3 with Navigation. Of course it costs an arm and a leg to upgrade. I was wondering Airstream, if your Garmin replaced the original Nav or did yours not have the Nav option? I would really love to upgrade to one of the Garmins with bluetooth.

Airstream345

Reaction score
I just purchased an 06 LR3 with Navigation. Of course it costs an arm and a leg to upgrade. I was wondering Airstream, if your Garmin replaced the original Nav or did yours not have the Nav option? I would really love to upgrade to one of the Garmins with bluetooth.

Mine did not have the LR GPS option.

lr3ke100

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99