Aftermarket hid/xenon headlights for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
I hope I don't sound like a noob with a downer attitude but any housing designed for a halogen/filament bulb will not have a proper pattern with a true HID conversion kit. This is because the light now emanates from a single point (the arc) and not along the length of a filament.

This usually ends up scattering the light around, including up into the eyes of oncoming traffic. The now less focused light actually puts less light in the proper spots. To make matters worse, the kit makers know this and increase the actual light output above what would normally be required so the customers "see" an improvement. This further exacerbates the glare issue for others.

If you can, take a look at the cut-off of a factory HID projector on a garage wall or something. Then look at the cut-off of a normal halogen lamp or projector with a HID kit. You will be suprised. Consider that any light above the cut-off does nothing to further iluminate anything on the road any more, but does contribute to blinding other drivers.

A high quality halogen bulb is the best upgrade for non-HID housings.

Wusty

Reaction score
I just purchased some Philips Crystal Vision Ultra - H11 for my low beams. I'll reply back with a review after I install them this week.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi YCharlie

does the brightness of the Xenon overpower the signature Led pattern on the LR4 headlights?

i dont have the signature leds, so i dont know. as for light pattern, i think it's been discussed a few times in other threads. the patter looks like the oem hids. they arent blinding for incoming traffic.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have the signature leds, so i dont know. as for light pattern, i think it's been discussed a few times in other threads. the patter looks like the oem hids. they arent blinding for incoming traffic.
I have the signature LEDs and the after market HID bulbs and they look compeltely stock and do not blind other cars - I have driven in front of my LR4 in another car and then drove an LR4 with stock HIDs for a few days - seem almost identical in many ways.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the signature LEDs and the after market HID bulbs and they look compeltely stock and do not blind other cars - I have driven in front of my LR4 in another car and then drove an LR4 with stock HIDs for a few days - seem almost identical in many ways.

the only significant difference would be the light color, not pattern.

Wusty

Reaction score
I have a 2010 LR4 that has Halogen headlights, not HID. I purchased the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra - H11 for my low beams. Installed them the other day and they are much whiter and much improved over the stock halogen bulbs. I would highly recommend the cheap $30 upgrade. (Amazon). Not quite as strong and powerful as the stock HID LR4's but the new bulbs make it enough that I'm not embarrassed by the ugly yellow lights and the itch is gone to do an HID conversion.

obdoc

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 HSE and I also want to replace my bulbs. While my high beams are plenty bright, I am underwhelmed by the regular low beam headlights. I have been scouting the forums for a good bulb replacement and I am a little confused. When I look at the manual it says the low beam is a H7 bulb, but most of the replacement posts say H11. Did they change from the 2010 to the 2012?
I have a couple winter ski trips up to the mountains this year and I really want some brighter headlights. Which bulb would you get? Which sizes? Did you replace everything or just the low beams?

Wusty

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 HSE and I also want to replace my bulbs. While my high beams are plenty bright, I am underwhelmed by the regular low beam headlights. I have been scouting the forums for a good bulb replacement and I am a little confused. When I look at the manual it says the low beam is a H7 bulb, but most of the replacement posts say H11. Did they change from the 2010 to the 2012?
I have a couple winter ski trips up to the mountains this year and I really want some brighter headlights. Which bulb would you get? Which sizes? Did you replace everything or just the low beams?

Aren't all 2012's HID? I thought in 2011 they did away with Halogen bulbs.

obdoc

Reaction score
Unless you have the vision package or the LUX it is still Halogen I believe. The manual says H7 55w for low and high beams and H11 55w for Fogs.

Wusty

Reaction score
I have a 2010. My Low Beams are H11's. I just installed them and they work perfect.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635