Almost ready to buy an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAK

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I want a couple of the dealer installed options, and was hoping some of the LR4 owners here could provide some insights:
1. the rear cargo barrier -- is it easy to put it in or take it out? I'd primarily be using this to keep my dog in the back, other wise she'd want to join us up front. I would not be using it all the time, so want something that is easy in and -out. My alternative solution is to just get another Vari-Kennel and lash it down in the back when the dog travels with us.
2. roof rails -- what is the generally preferred solution, the long rails or the short ones? For now, we want some way to lash down the Christmas tree, but eventually may want to carry some camping gear up there. Not expedition quantities, more like weekend camping gear.
Regards,
Bruce

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't have a lot of information on the barrier. I haven't seen one in person nor have I done any research on them.

On the roof rack, I have done a fair amount of research. I have settled on the short roof rails as I really don't need to carry anything forward of the middle of the truck. Installation is easier for the short rails and they are generally cheaper.

I was considiring getting the rails and installing myself, but there have been people here that say that even the dealer has cracked the roof glass when installing them. I would preffer not to have any more issues with my dealer, so I may just have them do it and save the headaches.

When you do get the rails installed, you still have to purchase cross bars. A lot of people like the Land Rover bars. I may look at Thule or Yakima for bars.

Rob

BAK

Reaction score
Rob,
Thanks for the information. I had a suspicion that it might be wise to have the dealer install the roof rails prior to delivery, so your comments were helpful.
Bruce

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruce,
I have both the short roof rails and the cargo barrier/dog cage.
Roof rails - love them, recommend dealer install (have heard stories of cracking the roof glass during install, better do that on the dealers dime). LR cross bars complete the look, and Thule ski carriers etc are too easy to install.
Rear Cargo Barrier/Dog cage - same reason for getting it that you listed. We got it so our Golden Retriever can ride home from the beach wet and sandy and not ruin the interior by climbing over all the seats to get to us up front. It is great, fits well, and does its job, but it is a complete ***** to install/take out. Seriously, whoever designed this needs a slap upside the head. With two adults, it never takes me less than 20 minutes to get this thing in or out, every time it does go in or out it dings up the interior, and brings out the four letter words. I also have the loadspace protector (with a lip) that does not really fit with the cage, get the loadspace rubber mat instead, it works better with the cage. My cargo barrier stays put except if family is visiting and we need to haul 7 people around for the day.
Either way, have fun. You will love this vehicle.
Matt

BAK

Reaction score
Matt,
Thanks for sharing your experience with getting the cargo barrier in and out -- I think that for new, I'll forego that option. I can always add it later if i decide I really need it.
Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM