Alternator going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 LR3 with 117k. Starting getting the array of dash lights going crazy, which usually means battery. I didn't tie that to a strange "whine" noise, as I assumed I had some belts getting a little dry/loud.

I put in a new battery (before reading threads :( ), as the existing battery was 2 years old, hoping that would solve things - but there's still a whine and a couple dash lights. Finally read some threads, used a multimeter on the new battery, with engine running (and most accessories on), and measured about 11.85V. I see this is too low, and points to the alternator. I'm picking up a new alternator tonight from BPUtah.com (denso factory reman), and plan to throw that in. I have two questions:

1) while doing the alternator, is now a good time to do belts? Or are those a whole new project? I actually already have two belts, as I carry them when venturing off-road, just in case. Is it a good idea to do any belt(s) while I'm in there doing the alternator?

2) I'm pretty sure the problem will end up being the alternator, not the battery. If the LR dealer will let me return it, should I? I'm thinking the old battery (2yrs) would still be good to use for another couple years?

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count the number of grooves in the pulley!

One thing I learned the hard way when replacing my alternator was to first count the number of grooves in the replacement alternator and compare that to the removed.

As to how many grooves are correct, all I will admit to perhaps five, maybe six, and seven is unlikely. I am not trying to be difficult, but do count before you install.

If you replaced both your belts as I did, you may be doing the alternator belt a second time when you swap pulleys.

As to when to replace belts, it really depends on when was the last time they were changed.

More interestingly, at some time in the future, you will find yourself replacing all the idler pulleys or at least the bearings for same. For me, that was another belt change time. Our Jag 7,000 rpm engine is no Chev 350, that is for certain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9