And it goes Tick Tick Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, it was late last night when I posted my response and all I saw was the tick tick tick and start up.... it suck rebuild your own pc on a sunday when it has to be up and running monday morning.....

anyway, Jeff is right this would not be a exhaust issue if it starts after the engine gets warmed up or after 5 minutes or so... this sounds more like lack or oil getting to the top of the engine. Cheap fix (lucas oil stabilizer) I just like the stuff. Long term fix if this is the issue. Clean sludge out of the oil pan and pick up tube. Flush the engine and check you oil pressure with a real pressure gage, not the electric thing on the dash.

If low oil pressure find the cause and fix what needs to be fixed.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I'm dropping my pan this week to re seal it so I will clean out everything and go from there.

I have a feeling it might be pressure because the pan is leaking a good bit as well as the oil lines.

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, also do not forget to clean out air line and crank case breather. If airline that goes off from plenum section that right next to throttle butterfly to T-pice will get seriously dirty, plenum will start sucking air from crankcase intensively, and then all sort of weird pressure things arising if breather's filter getting too dirty,

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well one more hint.

Easiest way to clean damn thing - buy two cans (should be enough to clean even pretty clogged pan) of Permatex Gasket Remover. While its designed to clean gasket remains it will actually eat through that goo and clean your oil pan to be squaky clean with much less cursing (i tried few cleaners, b/c i had only one can handy and it was like 10pm, when i was cleaning mine :)). Same stuff will help you to clean underneath your engine block from oil and dirt mix.

Oh and dont forget to wear glasses and something like bandana - or you will get lots of crap in your eyes and hair (guess how i know).

Oh yeah. I just realized - Justin, which oil filter you used on that oil change? If it doesnt have anti drain back thingy, then it will cause startup lovely sounds. Whole thing may be as simple as that.

Last edited:

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips,

I've got a K&N larger style oil filter with a mobil 1 waiting to go on.

Justin

Uzbad said:
Well one more hint.

Easiest way to clean damn thing - buy two cans (should be enough to clean even pretty clogged pan) of Permatex Gasket Remover. While its designed to clean gasket remains it will actually eat through that goo and clean your oil pan to be squaky clean with much less cursing (i tried few cleaners, b/c i had only one can handy and it was like 10pm, when i was cleaning mine :)). Same stuff will help you to clean underneath your engine block from oil and dirt mix.

Oh and dont forget to wear glasses and something like bandana - or you will get lots of crap in your eyes and hair (guess how i know).

Oh yeah. I just realized - Justin, which oil filter you used on that oil change? If it doesnt have anti drain back thingy, then it will cause startup lovely sounds. Whole thing may be as simple as that.

C

chiti66

Joey, if you had not gone to headers, how would you have repaired the problem?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I hadn't gone with headers, I would have just replaced the manifold.... $150 plus gaskets. Not that hard... it would have been a 2 hour (max) fix vice a 7 hour fabrication job.

W

wsy

I would do the "toilet tissue check" around your exhaust manifold gaskets before I did anything else.

Take a piece of toilet tissue, about three or four squares worth, and tape it to the end of a long narrow stick. Now, wave the toilet paper around the head->manifold and manifold->cat joints. Where the toilet tissue starts jerking in the wind, you've got an exhaust leak. Tighten, or replace gasket. I had to replace three and tighten all to get mine to quiet down.

It's fast and easy to check things this way, and you don't burn your fingers on hot metal.
-Bill

I

iggywanna

joey i have the same crack i was wondering if it was hard to put on the headers and did you have to have new exhaust ran for the whole thing???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM