Annual MPG thread

What is your MPG. Numbers are whats important.

• I drive it like I stole it. 10-12 mpg

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I need a tune up. 12-14

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • People always pass me. 14-16

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I drive my LR3 for the fuel economy. 16+

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont care what mine is. I fill it when I need to.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the great time in the year when holiday gas prices rise and the the wonderful winter gas poison is among us. We used to have this thread here so I figured after reading a few other threads that I would post the winter gas MPG thread. Post your results.

11.7-12.1 MPG over the last 1500 miles 90% around town.
Giant and Sunoco fuel 91-93 Octane
Goodyear Silent Armor's, tire pressure on 40lbs all around
Average/Aggresive driving with cruise control when possible

Last edited:

AGConrad

Reaction score
Just went from 255 60 18 Nexen Roadian 542 tires to Cooper Zeon LTZ 285 60 18 and hav noticed a 1 MPG drop from ~16mpg to ~15mpg in mixed city/highway driving, always using Shell 93 Octane V-Power or BP 93 Octane Premium with Invigorate

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage

No matter how hard I try around town / in Nashville, my 2005 HSE is always about 11.9 mpg.

On the highway I can get 14 if I'm driving fast (80 or 90 or so) and have averaged a high of about 17 or 16.5 when setting cruise at 70 and not touching it.

I just replaced my air filter last month, that gave me about a 1mpg improvement around town. I was getting 10.5 or so beforehand.

Not great... actually this seems to be worse than my old 2003 4.6 Disco 2 around town, but better on the highway. That thing would get a steady 12 or 13 mpg no matter highway or in town.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went from 255 60 18 Nexen Roadian 542 tires to Cooper Zeon LTZ 285 60 18 and hav noticed a 1 MPG drop from ~16mpg to ~15mpg in mixed city/highway driving, always using Shell 93 Octane V-Power or BP 93 Octane Premium with Invigorate
Your bigger tires are actually taking you farther than the old ones by 4.73%, so what looks like 15 MPG is actually 15.7 MPG, so you're not really down that much. It is reasonable that a wider tread would cause a little loss in MPG, but it's not much.
:driver:

AGConrad

Reaction score
Ahhhh Thanks Boaz, that makes sense. So I am actually putting more miles on the engine than the odometer states...? Isn't that illegal?

Last edited:

Baylink

Reaction score
Probably. ;-)

I just bought a '00 D2 2 weeks back, and my first full tank netted me 12.94mpg with nothing done at all, on factory sized tires. Mostly that was short-run local driving. Haven't calculated my second tank yet.

Trynian

Reaction score
Ahhhh Thanks Boaz, that makes sense. So I am actually putting more miles on the engine than the odometer states...? Isn't that illegal?

Technically not really more miles on the engine. It depends on how you look at it. You may be traveling further but the actual mileage on the engine is the same as it would be with the stock tires. Your axel turned less revolutions to get you there

Last edited:

AGConrad

Reaction score
Its all coming together now...thanks for the clarifications guys.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our first two fill-ups were 16.7mpg hand calculated. It's a mix of city/highway driving with my wife at the helm. I try to drive reasonable, but sometimes I am slower off the line or sometimes I am faster, depends on who is in the lane next to me. I'd love to find out if there some computer tuning that can be done to get a little more power out of it, maybe a better intake system?

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99