Another Leak ...Its Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I guess I could take it to the @#**!!^& Dealership...They are going to want 130.00 an hour plus labor/parts, handling costs, taxes, my left lung, 8 pints of blood, my law degree (as soon as I get it), my condo, my dog... Sorry I am having a bad day... I am logging off now, going to go see if I can find a decent cliff to run it off of (thank goodness for State Farm Insurance)!! JUST KIDDING.

Last edited:
D

discomike

Don't you dare cry, I won't be able to handle that well.
So are you having to add coolant?
If you are at a place where you can start up your truck and let it idle for about 15 minutes, do so, than let it cool down, you too. Keep an eye on it and let me know when it starts leaking again, while or, when cooling down or when cold. If nothing go to your favorite shop and have them pressure test the coolant system.Hang in there.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expansion tank will not leak under vehicle - it will leak pretty much right under where it is, and may be a wee bit off by dripping on rail.
You cant see if its leaking unless vehicle is running fully hot and coolant was topped up. That is if we talking infamous seam craking leak.

Reason why i thought it may be water pump is b/c you recently had that weird heat damage on belt, so i figured something may be slippery in there (as in belt not rotating pump or something).

Other than that - top it up, drive for about 30 minutes in lower gears to get truck heat up... If it will not repeat itself - then you may be totally wrong. As in - its not your truck leaking, but someone else parked in same spot while you were out. I had once lovely oil puddle like that - was screaming in horror :)

And, Melissa, stop tasting things like that. Seriously. And smelling coolant in direct sniff is bad idea too - do as they used to teach in chemistry classes in school :) Be safe.

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) Sergei's right -- you need to sort of waft the fumes into your smell-zone, rather than a direct sniff;

(2) I'm thinking heater hose if it was you at all, since you had that gurgling/rushing sound on cold startup;

(3) I once came back to my truck in a Home Depot parking lot, and saw the most godawful big puddle of coolant beneath me. It was someone else but it took every bit of my remaining sanity for the night :biggrin: -- It'll work out.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thank u Serg, Mike, and Moose! I feel like Psycho RoverChic today (If u could have seen me today-- my dog was even scarred) !! I will watch the problem .. and see how it goes.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChick, alls not lost yet. Check around the theromstat housing, hoses for the heater, should anything around the manifold leak the fluid will settle in the valley area and run to the back of the engine. I'd say with Rovers track record
it's 95% a hose issue. Treat her like a lady, she'll pull thru. The slosh noise was air in the cooling system, don't run it low on coolant. I had a thermostat open 1/16" max, boy that motor would go from normal to max off the gauge in 15 seconds at 40 mph. Drive em like a Porsche or aircraft engine, one eye on the gauges. After the loss of a pressure relief plunger i installed a oil gauge to keep the worried eye busy, the other for eye candy. Good Luck, Carl.
..............................................................................o&o>.................

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChic said:
Thats not funny Mike or Monty.. I seriously am about to cry or pass out from the heat. :bawling:

I couldn't resist Melissa. No harm meant, as I was only joking. I didn't realize you were having such a hard time with your Rover today. Good luck and hang in there.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChic said:
I remember hearing that swish .. swoosh of water on the right side when I started it this morning...You know sounds like water coming from the glove box? I can not take it anymore!! I am trading this thing in ............Ahhhhhhh!! How could I have time for a family or a boyfriend for that matter?? No, I have a Rover ..which takes up ALL OF TIME!!!!! (I think I am having a nervous "rover" breakdown)...Ok I think I am done venting for now..Any thoughts on the ^!**!!!$# leak??
On a happier note, once you have your law degree, and you find suitable employment, you should be able to afford either a) all of those repairs, or b) a new(er) rover with fewer problems.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Carl that would certainly be the reason why the fluid was found @ the end of the engine. The local LR dealership wants 1800.00 to fix it. ( They seem to think that I need a new radiator, which we all know is BS but when I drop it off I will set them straight on what I think/know the problem is). Guess, I will suck it up and pay it... The leak has stopped for now. At this point it is not about the $$ but my sanity.

Monty<><><> You did not hurt my feelings or anything. I worked in an office this summer with close to 25 men :wink: (attorneys :proud: -- EEkkk!!) I was the only female.. therefore I am used to "you" men by now. :) Seriously though it takes a lot to make me cry. I just wanted to make ya guys feel bad for always picking on me!!

Nonetheless, I have enclosed a picture of the expansion tank.. I circled this little piece in the tank. I have only had to fill the tank up about 3 times since last December 2003. And @ that, it is less than a full cup. Sometimes I can see the piece of the tank--When I can see it I usually add some fluid. Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Cnv0134.jpg
    Cnv0134.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 117

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, if you havent topped it up lately - i would say it wasnt indeed your coolant on driveway. Proper level is just enough to cover that cross-shaped thingy, and yours is covered nicely.

And if you ever topped it up more than that cross thingy - then all them coolant leaks you seen are results of pressure cup on expansion tank releasing all the extra coolant :)

(why you using 30/70 mix btw, living in florida? 50/50 should make it way happier).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72