Another member in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Name: Jeff Gentzler
Vehicle: 1997 Discovery SE7

Okay, here goes. I bought my Disco in January of this year. So far the repairs on it have cost easily over $3k...and there is not much end in sight. :p The only reason this is the first thing I mention is because today, yet again, the infamous check engine light has graced my presence. Black tape on dashboard ensuing. (pretty sure it is O2 sensors)

I've been visiting this site and reading the forums often whenever I get bored at work or home for the last month or so. The advice seems great, the people seem very nice, and it's great to find this resource online. I look forward to learning a lot and helping out whenever I can with some info of my own.

Regarding 4-wheeling experience, I guess I don't have much. Many, many weekends have been spent on the Pismo Dunes in California during my time at the school near there, and occasionally I've made it up to the mountains to goof around some. No rock crawling at all... The last 4x4 I owned was a Toyota PU with a lot of lift and 35" tires. It would go anywhere.

A Discovery has been on my mind for a long time, so I finally got one. Now I'm in your domain. ;)

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yah...

Last time the Disco was in the shop for various repairs, two of the check engine light codes were both banks of Lambda sensors, yay. I was then told by the lady at the service counter that they just reset the codes, but if they fault again, all four O2 sensors would have to be replaced at the cost of $200/piece. ROFL. NO. They are very nice and helpful at the shop I normally take the Disco, but I cannot stomach these kinds of costs...seeing as I am used to Toyota reliability. Mama help.

This is a good example of why I'm here. :) Is it possible I should just go back to Toyotas, or do you think there will be a point where I can drive the Disco and not worry about anything going wrong for more than, say, 1k miles?

D

discomike

Jeff,
My name is Mike, I live in Santa Barbara, call me.
Mike J.
896-1550

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When's a good time to call? I am leaving work now, so tomorrow after noon will be the first time I'll see a computer again (out of town)...

Where is your introduction thread? I looked for it in various places but haven't found it.

D

discomike

Jeff, We should talk, I know some of the service people in your area and I do know where you can get a much better price on your O2 sensors. Call me any time.
Take care,
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
o2 sensors? Check the parts section of this site. You can find them for pretty cheap.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yah, Welcome to the SITE!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site... and remember anything can be done if you try hard enough or search long enough....

Rear O2 sensors on the newer Discos are a waste of Money IMHO... Buy some O2 Simulators and forget about them.

O2 Sim's Something like these should work fine....I bought them, but just haven't had time to install them yet...I hope to get around to that before I rechip the ECU.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Jeff! Curious, how many miles on the disco?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcommen :)
Call Mike, he will tell you how to look up codes and "what does it all mean, Basil" :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM