Another Oil question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I've read the DIY oil changes and several of the "is this oil better than others" but didn't see anything on this.

I went to the local Jaguar Dealership to buy some SLX oil and filter for my first DIY on my 2013 LR4 (1400 miles). The parts guy came out with Castrol Edge Professional OE. When I questioned him he stated the only difference between the Edge Pro OE and the SLX was UV characteristics of the Pro OE, and that it replaces the SLX. I looked it up online and I didn't see any quick comparisons between SLX and the Pro OE. This is the only thing I could find, but it doesn't state that it's comparing between SLX vs Edge Pro OE or if it's Edge vs Edge Pro OE.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9042838&contentId=7076439

Reference for the oil I was given is part # 06258 and stock # 020056. It meets FORD WSS-M2C925-A and B. Is this the right oil, or did the Jag dealer give me the wrong stuff?

Thanks all!

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That oil does not replace the slx... As a Land Rover dealer, they should not have sold you that as a replacement for the factory oil. It may technically meet the requirement, but LR specs the slx for reason...

Flame suit on...:biggrin:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Castrol SLX has been discontinued and replaced by Castrol Edge Professional. My 2013 Owner's Handbook says "Land Rover recommends Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-20", no mention of Castrol SLX.

Flame suit off.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's weird, my owners manual doesn't say anything about Castrol Edge Pro... If that is the case, I certainly stand corrected. It is interesting that they are putting a uv dye in the oil. That makes me even more nervous about using something other than the factory oil.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. I guess I'll go ahead w/ the oil change this weekend.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the page off my 2013 NAS LR4 manual.

http://db.tt/oSU4jnJ8
LR4-oil.pdf

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The name of the oil has been changed to Edge Pro... I stand humbly corrected...but I just looked at both '13 RRS and '13 LR4 owners manuals and neither one of them has the specific Edge Pro recommendation. Did you possibly get that from an online pdf manual?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know Umberto, given that you have RR badges on your dash, I think you got a special edition LR4...:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635