any tutorial to replace ABS sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting error code for ABS sensor a couple of times a year,

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it's a super easy swap. Should be able to take your wheel off and then reach behind the rotor onto the hub assembly to get to the sensor. It's 1 bolt. Mine were a little tricky to remove (corrosion) but nothing too bad.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it's a super easy swap. Should be able to take your wheel off and then reach behind the rotor onto the hub assembly to get to the sensor. It's 1 bolt. Mine were a little tricky to remove (corrosion) but nothing too bad.
thanks,

should I stick with OEM part or aftermarket (I mean from reputated merchant such as Atlantic British) works fine

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I have used both OEM and after market from AB, both were fine.
ALWAYS install new ones when changing the brakes.

On my 2013:

You will need to take the two wheels off.

Rear sensor is on the passenger side and is easy, just install the new one as the old one comes out to make sure you follow the routing. If you simply remove the old one first then you will likely never get the routing back the way it was just because it's not straight forward.

Front sensor is on the drivers side and is a pain. The routing goes up inside the fender well. You will need to be careful with those clips or purchase some new ones (Amazon). As I recall you need to remove 3 or 4. Then the connector is a PITA because it's hard to get apart and hard to access. Just make sure the new one fully seats and clicks together.

It's a quick job, I work slowly and it's maybe 30 minutes on the back and an hour on the front depending on your luck with the fender liner and clips.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used both OEM and after market from AB, both were fine.
ALWAYS install new ones when changing the brakes.

On my 2013:

You will need to take the two wheels off.

Rear sensor is on the passenger side and is easy, just install the new one as the old one comes out to make sure you follow the routing. If you simply remove the old one first then you will likely never get the routing back the way it was just because it's not straight forward.

Front sensor is on the drivers side and is a pain. The routing goes up inside the fender well. You will need to be careful with those clips or purchase some new ones (Amazon). As I recall you need to remove 3 or 4. Then the connector is a PITA because it's hard to get apart and hard to access. Just make sure the new one fully seats and clicks together.

It's a quick job, I work slowly and it's maybe 30 minutes on the back and an hour on the front depending on your luck with the fender liner and clips.
thanks for details

one question, the sensor is only side in the front and one side in the rear? not one per wheel?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
txfromwi seems to be talking about the brake pad sensors. The wheel speed sensors are one per wheel.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the same.

Brake pad sensors just sense when your brake pads wear down to the point they need to be changed. Basically, a little copper wire hits the rotor and disintegrates, which causes a light to show on the instrument panel letting the driver know its time.

The ABS wheel speed sensors measure the speed of the wheel. They mount in the side of the wheel hub and detect the passing of teeth on a toothed reluctor ring that spins inside the wheel hub housing.

I don’t know of a tutorial (although seems like youtube must have one), but there isn’t much to it. You might have to remove the brake caliper to get at the sensor - I’m haven’t really looked at it on this car. Otherwise, probably just a single bolt that holds the sensor into the wheel hub. Remove bolt, pull out the sensor, put in the new one.

The trickiest part would be the wiring. I don’t know where the closest connector is for the speed sensor, but it’s probably up above the fender to protect it from the elements a bit. If you can get to that connector, it would just be plug-and-play. If you can’t get to that sensor, you’ll have to splice in a new connector or just splice into the wiring. You need to do a good job at that part - these sensors are very important to the operation of ABS, traction control, and a bunch of other stuff.

Wish I could be more help, but maybe someone else here has changed them and can give more detail. @f1racer328 seems to have done it, so maybe he can recall whether the connection is easy to get to.

(Had to change s-c-r-e-w to bolt above to avoid the pottymouth filter. Could use some optimization for a car forum).

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the same.

Brake pad sensors just sense when your brake pads wear down to the point they need to be changed. Basically, a little copper wire hits the rotor and disintegrates, which causes a light to show on the instrument panel letting the driver know its time.

The ABS wheel speed sensors measure the speed of the wheel. They mount in the side of the wheel hub and detect the passing of teeth on a toothed reluctor ring that spins inside the wheel hub housing.

I don’t know of a tutorial (although seems like youtube must have one), but there isn’t much to it. You might have to remove the brake caliper to get at the sensor - I’m haven’t really looked at it on this car. Otherwise, probably just a single bolt that holds the sensor into the wheel hub. Remove bolt, pull out the sensor, put in the new one.

The trickiest part would be the wiring. I don’t know where the closest connector is for the speed sensor, but it’s probably up above the fender to protect it from the elements a bit. If you can get to that connector, it would just be plug-and-play. If you can’t get to that sensor, you’ll have to splice in a new connector or just splice into the wiring. You need to do a good job at that part - these sensors are very important to the operation of ABS, traction control, and a bunch of other stuff.

Wish I could be more help, but maybe someone else here has changed them and can give more detail. @f1racer328 seems to have done it, so maybe he can recall whether the connection is easy to get to.

(Had to change s-c-r-e-w to bolt above to avoid the pottymouth filter. Could use some optimization for a car forum).

I haven’t replaced the sensors. Just removed them when replacing my wheel hub assemblies in the front.
I have no idea where the wire continues on to. Don’t remember if the connector is exposed or hidden up in the wheel well.

Taking the caliper/rotor off will obviously help too but I can’t remember if it’s necessary as I had to take them off anyways. Not a big deal if you have the proper torx socket for the rotor.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update
1.jpg

I found the
2.jpg
following stuff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads