Anybody here trade an MDX or Pilot for an LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

PaulLR3

I'm thinking of trading my wife's MDX for an LR3. The MDX is a great vehicle, but the AWD system isn't that capable in deep snow when we go skiing or in sand on a nearby drive-on beach. The LR3 excels at both. Plus I like the larger third row seats since our twin toddlers take-up the entire second row. Plus, the MDX gets sag-butt when loaded with kids, gear and an 80 lb. dog, not to mention the scary brakes when loaded. My biggerst concern is that I'll be trading a really reliable vehicle that never needs repairs for one that will need repairs. Anybody here regret making the change to the LR3? Don't get me wrong...I don't mind a vehicle that needs repairs sometimes...I have been driving Audis for years. I love the way Audis drive and wish the Q7 was bigger.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We traded our 2001 MDX in on our LR3.

It only seems like a mistake when the 'Suspension Fault' light is flashing in my face...

H

Houm_WA

yeah, if reliability is a major concern I'd think twice. I love the LR3, don't get me wrong....but I never anticipated being on a first-name-basis with the service reps.

T

TR4Runner

You want reliability along with 4-wheel-drive capability? Simple--buy a Lexus GX.

It has an excellent 4 wheel dive system, it's among the most reliable vehicles you can buy, and it's luxurious as well.

J

jcegold

Have 4000 miles on 06 HSE no problems yet, love the rig. Could use more power though.

H

Houm_WA

Yeah, I drove the GX. It's a nice vehicle. My main problems with it were:

1. It's not an LX.

2. I didn't like the way it looked all that much.

3. After driving it, I just felt like...it was boring.

L

lr3junkie

Houm_WA said:
Yeah, I drove the GX. It's a nice vehicle. My main problems with it were:

1. It's not an LX.

2. I didn't like the way it looked all that much.

3. After driving it, I just felt like...it was boring.

I to drove the GX470, and liked it quite a bit, but thought the truck was a little to top heavy. The truck is narrower than the LR3. I also did not like how the 3rd row seats folded up to the sides, rather than flat into the floor. It was impossible to find one without the third row seat option. Love the LR3.

S

stjames70

I have a better idea: Keep your MDX and buy the LR3. Couldn't get rid of my 2002 MDX -- just loved it too much. The MDX has a better navigation system, it is more ergonomic, and its V6 is one of the smoothest engines I have ever driven. The LR3 is much more capable off-road, its engine is a lot stronger, and its 3rd row seat much more comfortable.

D

deanz

Maybe wait a few months for the '07 MDX

I was considering the MDX when we purchased our LR3 in December....I was told that a totally redesigned MDX will be coming for the 2007 model year. It supposed to be more aggressive looking (along with other changes) and may be more aligned with what you are looking for.

Good luck either way, both are great SUVs and you'll have fun with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM