Anybody here trade an MDX or Pilot for an LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodmews

Reaction score
I also almost got the MDX and didn't for the exact same reason, the '07 will be redesigned and I did not like the looks of the MDX now. The LR3 offered me everything the MDX had and also is unique. NOt many of them driving around in my neighborhood and everyone is really impressed by it.

P

PaulLR3

Yes, I have considered another MDX, but not a first year model. My allroad had a bad oil leak and needed new air springs so I traded it for an '04 TL when they first came out. Great engine but I was really disappointed with the build quality. Tons of rattles...I packed so much foam & felt into the car it would probably float. The leather on the seats wrinkled fast, paint quickly chipped off the hood, paint peeled off the rear bumper where it rubbed on the taillights, miserable Bridgestone OE tires and dealers that refused to acknowledge or correct any of these issues. I traded it after 18 months for an '06 A4 that I love. I'm going to wait to see a Q7 in person then decode between that and an LR3. Thanks for all the input everone!

H

Houm_WA

...TR, when I wrote "it's not an LX" I just meant, well, I don't know. I don't feel like the GX has its own identity in the market. I can't really explain what I mean except to say that the LX is a known commodity and already has a reputation...the GX is a relative newcommer and I don't know how it's different-enough even from the LX except size.

I guess after saying all that, one could conclude the same things regarding the LR3 and the Range Rover, except that the LR3 would have more "street cred" than the GX based on its ancestry.

...and I guess that at the end of the day, I feel like the LR3 is a vehicle that is distinct enough from the RR to stand alone, and that the GX is just another Lexus that is in the LX' shadow.

Of course, this is completely subjective and very "squishy" meaning that I have no real way to rationalize this except to just say that it's my take.

You asked (TR4Runner) so I'm tellin' ya.

T

TR4Runner

Houm_WA said:
...TR, when I wrote "it's not an LX" I just meant, well, I don't know. I don't feel like the GX has its own identity in the market. I can't really explain what I mean except to say that the LX is a known commodity and already has a reputation...the GX is a relative newcommer and I don't know how it's different-enough even from the LX except size.

I guess after saying all that, one could conclude the same things regarding the LR3 and the Range Rover, except that the LR3 would have more "street cred" than the GX based on its ancestry.

...and I guess that at the end of the day, I feel like the LR3 is a vehicle that is distinct enough from the RR to stand alone, and that the GX is just another Lexus that is in the LX' shadow.

Of course, this is completely subjective and very "squishy" meaning that I have no real way to rationalize this except to just say that it's my take.

You asked (TR4Runner) so I'm tellin' ya.

Um...okay. I'm still trying to figure out what an LX is...... I know a GX is a Lexus, but an LX???

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the LR3 has more "street cred" than a Range Rover, seeing as the LR3 is in its first two years of production, versus about 30 for the Rangie.

Most people call my Discovery, and in all honesty most LR3's, Freelanders, etc. a "Range Rover" -- THAT is street cred.

:biggrin:

H

Houm_WA

Moose, read it again. I said that the LR3 has more street cred than the GX470.

And yes, bizdack, thanks for clarifying. The LX I refer to is the LX470.

However, Moose, since you bring it up....I don't think that the Range Rover is more capable off-road or more "heavy duty" than the LR3. That is what I meant by street cred....not to be confused by hip hop's meaning for street cred.

The LR3 will probably never make a cameo in a rap/hip-hop video.

T

TR4Runner

bizdack said:
He's referring to the LX470. The GX's bigger brother. :)

Doh! I thought he was comparing it to another brand.... but that makes sense.

L

lr305

I almost bought a MDX 4 months ago. It was fully loaded with 2k miles and was selling for $36K. By comparison, I thought MDX was lighter and much less capable for off-road. I discussed it with a Honda research manage (my friend in Japan), he thought it was too expensive for its capability (comparing to the Pilot) although it is very nice and reliable truck. So I turned attention to my LR3 and got a good deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM