Anyone have the Traxide Dual Bat kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the The SC40-LR Plug-&-Play Kit + D3 TPSE Kit. The whole thing is only $299 ($265 US). Of course shipping from Australia is required. Unless anyone knows a US dealer? Anyone tried this kit or know anything about it. I figured with the weather and everything else, its time for a little upgrade. Combined with a yellow top, should never have power issues again.

copy into browser www.traxide.com.au/D3.html

SC40-LR+TPSE.jpg

D3-SC40.jpg

D3-Bat.jpg

LR-Brac.jpg

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the The SC40-LR Plug-&-Play Kit + D3 TPSE Kit. The whole thing is only $299 ($265 US). Of course shipping from Australia is required. Unless anyone knows a US dealer? Anyone tried this kit or know anything about it. I figured with the weather and everything else, its time for a little upgrade. Combined with a yellow top, should never have power issues again.

http://www.traxide.com.au/D3.html

SC40-LR+TPSE.jpg

D3-SC40.jpg

D3-Bat.jpg

LR-Brac.jpg

I have no experience with this kit, but do have some advice. I have started acquiring the pieces to do the dual kit my self. If the isolator is only rated to 30A that means if you run the battery down and take the full output of the alternator you will be overloading the isolator. Unless I am missing something this isolater isn't rated for the current. All isolators that I have looked at are sized based on the output of the alternator. I haven't verified the LR3 alternator size but I am sure it is in excess of 100A.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this kit, but do have some advice. I have started acquiring the pieces to do the dual kit my self. If the isolator is only rated to 30A that means if you run the battery down and take the full output of the alternator you will be overloading the isolator. Unless I am missing something this isolater isn't rated for the current. All isolators that I have looked at are sized based on the output of the alternator. I haven't verified the LR3 alternator size but I am sure it is in excess of 100A.

The isolator is rated at 40 amp. The 30amp breakers I believe are designed to intercept the at 30 amp so that cannot happen. I assume the circuitry prevents an overcurrent to the alternator by switching off the second battery when a current surge occurs thus tripping the 30 amp breakers. The alternator is protected by both 30 amp breakers from the entire Alternate power to the rear and the secondary battery.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but don't forget that the flux capacitor will be drawing down power from the Dilithium Crystals!

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The isolator is rated at 40. The secondary battery cannot draw more than 30 amps from the alternator due to the breaker. I think a 100+ amp alternator could charge a single battery and the run the system until proper current is reached closing the breaker and charging the second battery.

Last edited:

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dual battery kit...

works fine. Installation was straight forward. I use the "always powered" rear outlets all the time to run accessories...small refrigerator, compressor, charging electronic dog collars, powering fans, etc. highly recommend the kit.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
works fine. Installation was straight forward. I use the "always powered" rear outlets all the time to run accessories...small refrigerator, compressor, charging electronic dog collars, powering fans, etc. highly recommend the kit.

Thanks for the info. Here's what I got back from Traxide in case anyone is wondering. Should be about $333 to the US.

Hi Dino, as the price of the SC40-LR Plug-&-Play kit includes post inside Australia and GST ( Australian sales tax ), between the post charge already included and that the GST does not apply to export sales, the air mail cost is covered, so your price, delivered by Express Courier International to the USA, is only slightly higher then is shown on our web site, AUD$230.

The D3 TPSE kit requires an additional $50 for freight because of the weight of the cable, so your total cost delivered to you in the USA, for the SC40-LR P-&-P kit plus the D3 TPSE kit would be $AUD375

Delivery to the USA is 7 to 10 Working Days

If you go to the link below, you should be able to do a currency conversion which will be close to your actual cost.

We make both a Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive kit, each Kit type contains the correct control module and genuine Land Rover battery bracket for the installation in either vehicle.

Full details about the kits for the Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sports can be found on our web site at

www.traxide.com.au

We accept payment by Visa or Master Card or PayPal, so you will need to add about 1% for the currency conversion charge.

Cheers, Tim Sanderson, Traxide Tronics.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the fuse will protect it but what do you do if you run the battery down further then that?? 30A isn't much to recharge a dead battery. And I need it to work when I am out in the middle of nowhere....Also if you don't mind putting the kit together yourself you can do it for about half that. I plan to just use a ford Starter Solenoid for my setup.
Ryan

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the fuse will protect it but what do you do if you run the battery down further then that?? 30A isn't much to recharge a dead battery. And I need it to work when I am out in the middle of nowhere....Also if you don't mind putting the kit together yourself you can do it for about half that. I plan to just use a ford Starter Solenoid for my setup.
Ryan

I dont think youll have that problem. the alternate battery becomes isolated at lower voltage. I used to sell Painless wiring kits but I like this kit better as a whole. Plus like madtownrover said the installation is straight forward. Others online claim it to be easy. Not worth the time to me to search around getting components. Although I will be ordering minus the rear cables. I can make them here.

From the site:
The SC40-LR Plug-&-Play Kit has a specially manufactured version of the SC40 and the kit is specifically made for quick and easy installation into a Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sports.

The SC40-LR is the end result of a redesign of the standard SC40 after Land Rover Australia provided us with the special requirements of these vehicles. The SC40-LR was then tested by Land Rover Australia.

The SC40-LR Plug-&-Play Kit continues on with the unique advantage that the SC40 has over other types of Dual Battery Controllers in that it not only controls the charging of the Auxiliary battery while the motor is running but unlike other controllers, after the motor is turned off, the SC40-LR allows some of the Cranking Battery's surplus power to be used to share the load with the Auxiliary battery.

Once the common voltage of both batteries drops to a pre-set level, the SC40 automatically isolates the cranking battery, leaving it with more than enough remaining stored power to easily start the most stubborn motor on the coldest of mornings.

This extended operating feature is especially advantageous in the case of the D3 and RRS as the size of the Auxiliary Battery is limited to a reasonably small capacity in these vehicles, the size limitation is countered by the unique way the SC40-LR operates, which effectively gives your 55 A/H Auxiliary battery an 80 A/H capacity, which greatly extends the operating time between charges compered to what any other controller can do.

The kit has everything needed for a full professional Dual Battery installation, except the battery.

The kit comes with comprehensive step by step instructions, all pre-assembled cabling and all the hardware, including the genuine Land Rover auxiliary battery bracket and bolts.

Last edited:

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but don't forget that the flux capacitor will be drawing down power from the Dilithium Crystals!

Absolutely not, the F.C. runs on 12 Jiggawatts (yeah i spelled it my way), and you know the Dilithium Crystals cannot produce that kind of output. :stupid::hello:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99