Aux Input Hum/ Ipod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

ravissingh

I managed to get rid of the annoying hum which I believe is a ground loop fault. For my LR3, select FM then Aux. If I select AM or CD then switch to Aux, the hum is present. It may be different for your LR3. I read somewhere that the same worked if you select CD then Aux and I tried different options and found one that worked. Try all the options, I bet you find one that works.

My Ipod set up is as follows. I purchased a Belkin Auto Kit. One end plugs into the ipod and the other into the cigarette lighter area. It charges the ipod and carries a sound signal via a 3.5 mm audio out jack, all via one cord. Here's the best part- it is amplified and is adjustable and matches the sound level of the radio very well without and distortion. You will need a mini stereo audio cable to go from the Belkin Auto Kit to the Aux input behind the center console. I plugged in the auto kit to the accessory power in the rear of the center console next to the Aux input. I then ran the cord between the drivers seat and the center console and fastened it to the drivers's arm rest with the velcro strap included in the auto kit. All I have to do is attach the ipod. The auto kit is available in black or white. I purchased mine on ebay for around $20.00. Once the ipod is attached, I set it on the center console behind the suspension adjustment switches.

I also tried a device called a Boostaroo which I found at Fred Meyer. This work well to amplify the sound using the headphone jack but created annoying distortion when used with an ipod dock . I hope this helps.

T

toddjb123

Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to get around the amplifier problem and didn't realize the Belkin kit is amplified!

F

funkeruski

Is this the Belkin connector your are using?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=149006

I was at Target the other day to buy a cigarette lighter adapter and saw this. I ended up just buying the simple cigarette adapter without the amplifier. My Ipod output level is pretty good plugging it directly to the Aux input and I was afraid that with this adapter, the amplifier would lead to increased distortion.

Does this Belkin adapter with amplifier work well? Does it really boost the level to the stereo and does it increase distortion, etc? I may go and get me one after all.

T

toddjb123

Yeah, I had a question on the "amp" as well.

Does it boost the level or just allow you to limit the level?

As noted in earlier posts here, my AUX input level is awful. I have to have the iPod cranked all the way up and it still isn't close to matching normal radio volume.

thanks!

R

ravissingh

Belkin auto Kit

The link shows the one I purchased. It has a volume (amplifier) control which when turned to max, the aux output equals the rest of the radio and cd etc. I have not had any distortion at all, unlike using the Boostaroo. The other nice feature is that you do not need a sepearate sound cable. Both are carried by this and it plugs into the bottom of the iPod. RSS.

R

Rhcaspian

iPod - am I dumb?

Sorry folks don't wish to sound dumb although you may get the impression I am from this. My question; am I right reading your positings that all I need to connect my iPod to my LR3 is The Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector Belkin Part # F8V7058-APL ?

I ask this because I understood that I would either a) docking station that would allow me to transmit via the radio. or b) a lead between the iPod and the AUX input in the rear of the consolle. Looking at the Belkin lead it seems like it only provides power. How does it provide the signal for the AUX connection?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, it has a 3.5mm audio jack on the cigarette lighter plug...

R

ravissingh

The ipod dock is not necessary. You will need a mini stereo cable with male plugs on either end to go from the Belkin part into the auxillary input of the rover. Right now, I have one that is about 4 feet. I will get one from Radio Shack that is only 12 inches.

F

fbaer

That is the Belkin adapter that I have and it works really well, because it is a line out, not the low level output from a headphone. There is also a level control. No noise at all.

One thing to realize is that depending on the bit rate that you record the songs at, depends on the output quality and level.

Enjoy.

F

funkeruski

I just bought the Belkin adapter off Ebay for 13.99. Is works well and it does boost the sound level to the stereo. It disables the volume control on the ipod and you control it with dial on the unit itself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635