Aux Input Hum/ Ipod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

Belkin Ipod Kit

WOW!!!! What a difference. I bought the kit today. Now my iPod sounds awesome!!!

Thanks for the information.

Kevin

F

Freeflytim

I saw them at Wally-world if you want instant gratification

F

Freeflytim

I love you guys.

I had no real big issue with my Ipod's sound... I guess the stuff I listen to (rips of electronica/techno/trance/progressive house radio shows) must be ripped with higher levels.

Im passing through Wally-World today and for the helluva it I picked up one of these things.. With a quick sampling of some of the stuff I listen to... its not much louder... BUT it does sound better! SWEET!

R

ravissingh

I managed to hide all the connections. The body and the cables of the Belkin adaptor are hidden. The only cable visibleis the one that plugs into the iPod and this comes up from under the center console along the driver's seat . I can post pictures and give details if there is interest in this. You willhave to own a set of star screwdriver bits and be willing to drill into your new LR3, although this will be totall hidden and undectable but can be easily replaced if broken. RSS

T

toddjb123

ravissingh said:
... I can post pictures and give details if there is interest in this.

RSS- yes, throw up some pictures!

I bought the new belkin adapter and since the wire comes up the side of the ipod base plug it is more of a pain than the old car charger I used. THanks!

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hum is associated with the lack of a good ground loop isolator.

Your options are:

Use the battery and don't plug the ipod into the cigarette lighter.
Purchase a cheap ground loop isolator (radio shack has a few)
Purchase a decent adapter (the Belkin above usually -- but not always works)

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steve c said:
Use the battery and don't plug the ipod into the cigarette lighter.

I don't find a difference between battery and plug in. As a matter of fact you can create the hum without anything plugged into the aux at all. Just toggle between am and aux. In my last LR3 the hum could be changed (pitch and volume) by turning the headlights on and off...

R

ravissingh

I tried the radio shack ground loop isolator and it did not work. Ground loops are difficult to eliminate so for me, selecting Aux after FM work well.

R

ravissingh

pictures

Here are some jpegs of my setup. If you open auxillary cover, nothing is there, its all behind. This part can pulled out with a gentle but firm tug. You can then remove the cigrette lighter port and attach the Belkin adapter to this and tape it together. Next, you have to remover the auxillary circuit board and flip this over. You will need to drill a hole through the back of the housing and feed the stereo plug through this hole and into the auxillary plug. Use a 2ft stereo plug and plug the other end into the Belkin adapter. Then feed the ipod connector part along the side of the console so that it end up as shown in the picture. You will have to stuff into the area and then replace the part that you pulled. Its a very tight fit but with some manipulation and patience, it sticks out minimally and there won't be any signs of your project. All that is left is to crank the tunes.
BTW, I still do not have any hum if I select AUX directly after selecting FM.

RSS

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0271.JPG