Beach Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

snwbrdn

ASTALAZ, I know there are no Terrra Grapplers available for the 19" HSE wheel, I'll be interested to see what size wheel they put on the dealership model and what size Terra Grapplers. I know there are some posts on this forum about 18" Terrra Grapplers rubbing the inside wheel wells and some plastic burn when the wheels are in there extreme position for rock climbing due to sizing. I'm working on a UK import for some Goodyear MT/R's for my 19" HSE wheel like the G4 edition. Only one problem, B.O.H.I.C.A. on price.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snwbrdn said:
ASTALAZ, I know there are no Terrra Grapplers available for the 19" HSE wheel, I'll be interested to see what size wheel they put on the dealership model and what size Terra Grapplers. I know there are some posts on this forum about 18" Terrra Grapplers rubbing the inside wheel wells and some plastic burn when the wheels are in there extreme position for rock climbing due to sizing. I'm working on a UK import for some Goodyear MT/R's for my 19" HSE wheel like the G4 edition. Only one problem, B.O.H.I.C.A. on price.
LOL I had to look up BOHICA with Google, not only found def but eBay and Amazon say they have great prices and reviews:tongue: So what is the price with VAT and shipping ?? :bootyshak

Cheers
John

A

AZSTALZ

I was over in the shop this AM and checked it out. They installed the same 285/60 R18 Nittos I have, but on the SE version 18" 10-spoke rims. They were in the middle of installing the "Jerry-Can" snorkel over the side intake. The rub I experienced occurred at high speed (50mph) on dirt roads (fully loaded) when I went through a dip/ravine that crossed the road. No rubbing has occurred (to my knowledge) while in Off-Road Suspension Height at slower speeds. I beat the living crap out of the NTG's last weekend and they handled the terrain w/o any damage.

S

snwbrdn

All right, sounds great. I only wish I also had some decent tire choices for the 19".

S

snwbrdn

John, I'll let you know when I get the exact figure. I'm told Fed Ex costs more than palatizing and sending them on the slow boat. With the poor dollar to pound ratio, I'm expecting $1800 to $2000, but I'll see. Heck, four new Wrangler HP's are like $1100. A company is checking for me.

J

jwc3

I drove my old Series 1 Discovery on the beach in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a week with no traction problems at all. I'm sure that the LR3 is just as good if not better. The only problem I encountered was that it was about 105 degrees F and there was a stong directional wind blowing across the beach from South to Norht. If I was driving with the wind (North), there was very little air flowing into the front grill, and the engine to run hot after a while. Turning the car into the wind (South) for 10 minutes would cool it off, and then I would continue North.

Personally, I woudn't drive my car into the ocean water, since the salt is not a good mix with metal. So, watch the tide and have fun!

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately stay away from the salt water. It eats everything!

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snwbrdn said:
John, I'll let you know when I get the exact figure. I'm told Fed Ex costs more than palatizing and sending them on the slow boat. With the poor dollar to pound ratio, I'm expecting $1800 to $2000, but I'll see. Heck, four new Wrangler HP's are like $1100. A company is checking for me.
Thanks, sounds like a viable alternitive.........5 spoke 18's @ $250 or 10 spoke 18's @ ~ $650 ea plus tires who knows ?? on the other hand will anyone step to the plate for 19's ???? Keep us informed.....Thanks

Cheers
John

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZSTALZ, I'd like to see that rig when it's all said and done, and a price tag too.

FWIW, I'm running the Nitto's on 18" ten spoke wheels, and they look and work great. I do not have any rubbing issues, but then, I don't have the air suspension system either. I must be fixed at about .5" taller than you guys in normal mode. I wish I had that extra 2" when I needed it though :)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One tip I have not seen on here about driving in sand dunes is this: Turn off your AC fan!

Also, always run with your headlights on if at a popular dune site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM