Beach Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lr3junkie

I am about to take a vacation that is going to require me to drive quite a bit on loose sand. Anyone attempt this yet? Advice? I am assuming I should't have to much problem.

Thanks

A

AZSTALZ

I found that if you turn off the "DSC" and use the Terrain Response Mode "Sand", your LR3 should perform great in sand. If you can, air-down your tires to 20psi to get a better contact patch. I would not advise deflating your Wrangler HP's any lower than that. Also, air them back up to at least 30 psi before you hit the highway.

H

Houm_WA

I've always heard that driving on sand is supposed to be bad for any vehicle. ...anyone else hear this before?

I think the general premise of this was or is that sand will invariably get all over the place in your drive-train...and sand is very abrasive.

Thoughts?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, sand is "bad"... this is why you must spend a good amount of time cleaning your vehicle afterwards. Power washers, obviously not set at maximum, are your friend. Just like snow and all the salt that is used on roadways... clean as soon as possible.

You do not need to fear sand. LR3 loves it. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

I have driven the LR3 multiple times on a sandy beach and in the water up to and just over the hubs on the shoreline. No real puckering moments. Inertia is key however. Also while driving in the water, be aware of the water and its relation to the side intake. If you have the HD package, the spare tires takes in sand also. May want to lower it and shake it out.

Frankly, if I spent this kind of money on a true off road capable vehicle, and didn't take it off road, I would be a bit disappointed. Enjoy what the vehicle is designed for.

L

lr3junkie

Thanks everyone, I agree, I would be pretty upset if I had bought this truck and never took it offroad.

H

Houm_WA

I'm all for taking it offroad, and have...don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that I wouldn't personally take it on sand for recreation. I'd take it on sand if I had too, though.

S

snwbrdn

Hope those Wrangler HP's don't let you down. I'm thinking about using mine as tire swings on a tree--nice smooth non-aggressive tread for the kids.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snwbrdn, they don't work as swings. They wear out too fast ;)

A

AZSTALZ

The dealership here in North Scottsdale even took my advise and scrapped the Goodyear HP's for a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for an LR3 they are kitting-out in their showroom with 'everything off-road' you could hang on it... I'll post a photo of it when they're done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM